• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Confused by error codes from KDTM354DSS5 KitchenAid dishwasher that stopped washing dishes

valueduser

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354DSS5
Brand
KitchenAid
I recently noticed a leak from the seal on the diverter shaft of my KDTM354DSS5 KitchenAid dishwasher and it had stopped washing dishes so after running the diagnostic cycle and getting the 9-1 error I went ahead and replaced the seal and the diverter motor. Now that the motor has been replaced I'm receiving the error codes 9-1, 6-1 and 6-4 which I am confused by because the unit is filling with water, and the float switch seems to be moving without problems. It may be worth mentioning that when attempting to run a wash cycle following the diverter replacement I notice the diverter motor clicking.

Could these errors could be caused a bad new diverter motor, or is it more likely the ECB needs to be replaced?

Is there anything other than running the diagnostic cycle I can do to help narrow down the possible cause?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your model has the problematic door vent that causes random errors to show up and not complete a full wash cycle.

Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

valueduser

Premium Member
Thank you for the tip Jake.

I removed both wire connections from the vent and ran a normal cycle to completion with a cup upright in the upper and lower racks but I don't think the wash cycle ran correctly as there was only as much water in the cups as you could expect from the condensation of the drying cycle.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You don't hear the wash motor come on after it fills and water splashing in the tub for a long time?

Lets try clearing the error codes first, we explain how to do this in this thread:

Your model number uses that exact same tech. data sheet I posted in post #4 of that thread.

Jake

valueduser

Premium Member
I think I've cleared the codes successfully after reconnecting the vent. No codes present when starting the service cycle now.

I think the wash motor is at least attempting to run. If I set the wash cycle to light+pro dry for example I notice the washer seeming to fill and empty 3 times and between fills 2 and 3 the wash motor is vibrating to the touch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think I've cleared the codes successfully after reconnecting the vent. No codes present when starting the service cycle now.
Ok, that's good news. But you still don't hear water splashing in the tub when the wash motor is vibrating?

On these models there has been a problem with the pump filter breaking and jamming up the wash motor.

Mike took lots of photos and documented them here:

Here's that pump filter you can order if needed:
Pump Filter W11084156

If not in-stock at RepairClinic, It's also here: W11084156

If the pump filter is fine, I'd next use a multimeter to check for 120 volts at the wash motor after it fills and should be running, if you get 120 volts and the wash motor is not running, then the wash motor is bad.

Is W10902589 the correct replacement?
Yes, that is the wash motor for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

valueduser

Premium Member
Bingo!

Would it be safe to run an empty cycle without the filter to see if the pump works?

Attachments

• 2022-09-18 10.37.44.jpg
    2022-09-18 10.37.44.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 37

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good find, yes your filter is definitely the issue.

Would it be safe to run an empty cycle without the filter to see if the pump works?
I don't see why not.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.