• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Continue to receive E65 Error Code....after replacing basically everything. Extremely confounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

mincind

Premium Member
Model Number
EIMED60LT
Brand
Electrolux
I started with an E64 code (which has been addressed 5 or 6 times in the past 8 years with a new element.)

After installing a new element, I started getting an E65 error. I found the inlet thermal limiter was in fact tripped. I replaced it and the high temp thermostat. Dryer ran 10 minutes before tripping the thermal fuse. Replaced fuse and it did it again.

(And the vent system has never been cleaner - no blockages.)

So....I installed a new control board and same thing again. Arrrrrghh!! $225 more and still no fix.

With nothing else to change, I replaced the element a second time.

I was actually able to dry two loads of clothes and thought issue was solved.

On the third load.....no error codes and load finished, buy clothes were still wet.

Tore the machine apart for an 9th time thinking I would find a blown thermal fuse...but it was fine.

I finally decide to go in diagnostic mode.

If I did not see it, would not believe it. When the inlet thermistor hit only 114 deg F, the dryer stopped for E65. Outlet thermistor reading about 72 degrees. Could the replacement high temp thermostat also be bad?

So I went back to the original one.....and guess what.....was able to see the inlet thermistor hit 225 degrees and no E65. Successfully ran ONE load.....and then same thing. Diagnostic mode show throwing E65 code when inlet thermistor only around 110 deg F.

For S&G, tried to run a load the next morning.....and dryer worked. Successfully ran 3 loads of clothes..........but now the dryer is again not heating. Same thing as seen before, showing E65 in diagnostic mode when inlet thermistor is only at 110 - 114 degrees.

Help!!!! I am ready to lose my mind. None of this makes any sense.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We need the complete model number, your missing the last digit, read it from the model number tag located inside the door.

Here's the results I get?
EIMED60LT0
EIMED60LT2
EIMED60LT3
EIMED60LT4

Sounds like your getting faulty parts, where you getting your parts from?

Your not using aftermarket parts are you?

Jake

mincind

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

The model # is EIMED60LT3.

The control board was an OEM part.

The others were not.

By the way....started the dryer again this morning and it heated up.

So.....guess the question is this: "what would be the reason why the drier throws an E65 code when inlet thermistor temp is < 115 deg F and I let the dryer sit for a number of hours and it successfully heats beyond 115 deg F without tripping to allow load to finish?"

This has happened with 2 different high temp thermostats. The original one from 8 years ago, and the a new one.....albeit an aftermarket one.

Thanks,

Dante

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dante,

"what would be the reason why the drier throws an E65 code when inlet thermistor temp is < 115 deg F and I let the dryer sit for a number of hours and it successfully heats beyond 115 deg F without tripping to allow load to finish?"
Because its aftermarket, that's why I always tell folks don't get aftermarket parts, they do not work properly.

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://ecommcdnprod.azureedge.net/..._product_support/EWG/EWGD65HIW2/137265000.pdf

Screenshot 2022-01-23 10.27.13.png

Here's the inlet thermal limiter for your model:
137032600 Inlet Thermal Fuse

Here's the high limit thermostat for your model:
High Limit Thermostat 3204267

Jake

mincind

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you for taking time to respond.

The troubleshooting guide you shared was what I used from the very start. That is why I bought and installed both an inlet thermal limiter and a high temperature fuse. And yes, I bought them from Amazon....because I knew with certainty I would have them in two days or less with free shipping, I read reviews that said how the parts worked as intended and had 4 1/2+ start ratings, and as an example, the price of the high temp thermostat was about 25% of the cost of what you list.

As a consumer, I struggle with knowing how to best source appliance parts with the confidence that the higher price was justified by a better built part. For car parts, I know if I want OEM parts for my Chevy Suburban, I buy them from the Chevy dealer. But where do I know I am getting OEM for appliance? There is no Electrolux or Frigidaire site to buy parts. So many items are private labeled with identical markings and indicators that the differentiator is not obvious.

Do you get what you pay for? In some many cases absolutely.....I do not but my power tools from Harbor Freight. I buy Milwaukee M18 Fuel series.......but you can see it in the specs and in the testing why the price is justified.

These high temp thermostats.......turn off at 275 F (open circuit....no continuity) and close again at 205 F to allow power to pass through the element again.

Thermal fuses......bi-metallic strip that "pops" at 295F to open the circuit. Does one that cost $32 (and they are a single time use device) activate more reliably that the one for $12?

Will certainly say that if I lay down the $70 for the thermostat you recommend and my problem goes away....well, you definitely are making me a believer.

I may have learned a lesson the hard way regarding OEM parts.

Thanks again!

Dante

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I get all my OEM appliance parts for my local customers from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic and they Always have a 365 day warranty on ALL parts.

Does one that cost $32 (and they are a single time use device) activate more reliably that the one for $12?
Yes Sir you bet it does.:)

Jake

mincind

Premium Member
Three different high limit thermostats have been installed (OEM and 2 aftermarket) and I continue to receive the same phenomenon.

Dryer may run a cycle or two....and then no heat on subsequent loads. Some times if I let it sit overnight, it may heat for a cycle or two again.....and then next load has no heat.

Diagnostic cycle continues to show same situation......inlet thermistor gets to 100- 115 deg F and then it stops due to E65 code.

I have change everything in this dryer (both thermal fuses, high temp thermostat twice, heating element twice, and the control board) other than the two thermistors.

They appear to be reading the correctly based on temp in diagnostic mode....and ohm level.

Really, really mystified here......

mincind

Premium Member
Update on status and discovery:

After failing to be able to run a load in the dryer last night around 11 PM, I went to bed.

Woke up this morning and tried again, and the dryer heated and operated as expected (all the way to the "Cool Down" and completed load.) Tried a second load....NO HEAT AGAIN.

This is now at least the fourth time where the dryer would not heat, but after allowing to sit overnight, it ran for only one load in the morning prior to no heat on the second attempt.

PLEASE....from a control logic standpoint, what could possibly be causing this? I might think if high limit thermostat tripped at upper setting and then did not "reset" once it dropped the 70 deg F to close circuit to allow power to flow to element again? But this exact same phenomenon has occurred with three different high level thermostats.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange.

Unplug the dryer and remove the drum and see if lint is clogging up your motor, if the motor switch overheats it can kill power to heating element as well.

Here's the motor for your model:
frigidaire-motor-134693302-ap6337359_01_m.jpg

Jake

mincind

Premium Member
Jake...sorry to trouble you on this one.

I think I may have figured out why such issues.

While I no doubt had a bad element and the thermal fuse was tripped, the reason for the recent "work once and then not again" is likely this.

The wires coming off both the thermal fuse and high temp thermostat are identical in color.

In my haste of tearing this thing down no less than 10 times in the past few weeks, I believe at some point I swapped two of the wires.

I have now run four consecutive loads without issue since re-swapping line.

Let that be a lesson learned for all!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Dante, glad you found that out.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.