• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Control board burned-again :/

billdiy

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13423K701
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Unfortunately I didn't find this forum before my board replacement :wall:

Last week, I started looking into fixing my kenmore elite (rebadge whirlpool) dishwasher not able to turn on since a month or so. I smelled burning plastic when it stopped working. Opening up the panel, I found that the control board was fried. I called Sears if the washer was part of any recall but the rep said it wasn't. I ordered a new control board from Sears.com, replaced the board, and viola it started working again! However the accomplished feeling was short-lived as it stopped working again this weekend. I opened up the panel and looks like the blue circular component of the board is blown again. I could use some advice on getting it fixed the right way :)

- Is it shorted somewhere? what else can I check? It worked for a few washes last week until the weekend. The washer is connected to the same outlet as the garbage disposal that is on its last leg and due for replacement soon. The washer appeared to be in the middle of a wash when it died (undrained water at bottom, soap dispatched, dishes not washed).

- What is the blue circular component on the board? can it be replaced/re-soldered? The original control board burned pretty bad but the new replacement seem to only blow this piece. Lesson learned on finding root cause before replacing stuff, but I'd prefer not to get a whole new board if at all possible.

IMG_20141025_100142.jpg

- Should I call Sears to get some technician to fix? I'm afraid it'll burn out again if root cause is not identified

Original burned board (seem to started from the same component)
IMG_20141017_185541.jpg
Thanks for your time!
Bill

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Bill,

I addressed this issue in 2011 here: Advice to KitchenAid dishwasher owners

All Kenmore 665 models, KitchenAid, and Whirlpool all use that exact same control board in that thread.

Jake

billdiy

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I'll report it to consumer safety. Does that mean getting a technician to come will not able to fix it for long before it burn out again? e.g. I should be looking for another dishwasher instead of trying to get it fixed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
With the age of your dishwasher Bill, it would be more wise to start shopping for new dishwashers.

I purchased a Maytag dishwasher MDB8949SBW3 and its working perfect.

My model uses this control board below, and not one person here has reported a bad or burnt control board on our ApplianceBlog Forum site at all.:)

W10595570 Electronic Control Board

Jake