• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

converting 220 volt washing machines to 110

john dodds

imported post

I am moving from Germany to the US and want to know if the process is easy to convert my Seimens 220 volt washing machine to 110? Thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

john dodds wrote:
convert my Seimens 220 volt washing machine to 110?
I doubt it is feasible at all but you can probably get a transformer which will step up the North American 120 volts to 220 (or maybe connect it directly to US 240 volt supply???).

I don't know what affect the 60 Hz power here would have on any electronic controls used in your 50 Hz machine. You might want to check with Seimens directly about it.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

Mad Mac

Appliance Tech
Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, U
imported post

The mains frequency generally controls any timer functions, even on an electronic machine. Also, a US/Canadian 220 volts (110-0-110) is different from a European 220 volts (220 live, neutral and earth). There are companies who market voltage transformers, but ther's no way round the frequency issue that I can think of. As someone who's made the same kind of move, I'd advise you to save the cost of shipping plus the other hassle and buy a replacement when you get here.

Oh, if you need info on bringing VHS tapes here and playing them, contact me off-list (unless anyone else on here is interested).

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

Mad Mac wrote:
I'd advise you to save the cost of shipping plus the other hassle and buy a replacement when you get here.
If the OP definitely want's a Siemens washer, I believe they're being sold in North America now.

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~