CPLEF398DCD Heating Element frequently requires replacement

azncapcom

Premium Member
Model Number
CPLEF398DCD
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi,

So I've gone through 3 stoves and about 5 heating elements in the last 10 or so years.

These are all electric glass top models. Had GE, Frigidaire and Whirlpool. Every 2-3 years a heating element would go. Mind you we do cook a lot several times a day.

I am just wondering if there's something that I can do to increase the lifespan, as the heating elements are not cheap to replace and sometimes it's not worth it after a certain age.

Is it the constant cycling on/off of the heating element that is destroying these? or just the amount of use (on time) that is destroying it?

Also the temperature sensor that is automatically cycling the element on/off, is that based on the element temperature or the glass top temperature?

I was told using pans that are not completely flat would also cause it to cycle more often then needed.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Every 2-3 years a heating element would go.
Which element(s), a surface element or oven??

Is it the constant cycling on/off of the heating element that is destroying these? or just the amount of use (on time) that is destroying it?
It would likely be from the amount of use.

Also the temperature sensor that is automatically cycling the element on/off, is that based on the element temperature or the glass top temperature?
It is usually the control switch that cycles a surface element on and off. The cycling is based on the current draw of the element along with the switch setting. There is also a limit switch on the element that will shut the element off if it overheated, to prevent damage to the glass top.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic: Electric Range: Surface Elements

LINK > How an electric range infinite heat switch works (PDF)

I was told using pans that are not completely flat would also cause it to cycle more often then needed.
I do not think the pan type will affect the cycling period but could affect cooking results and prevent damage to the glass top.

I am just wondering if there's something that I can do to increase the lifespan
Maybe switch up the elements being used and not use the same one(s) extensively?

JMO

Dan O.