• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Crosley dryer making grinding/thumping noise on start-up and stop

alienux

Premium Member
Model Number
CDE20R7W
Brand
Crosley
Hello!

We have a Crosley CDE20R7W dryer (not sure if that's a zero or the letter "o" in the serial number) that has recently starting making a grinding/thumping noise for about one second when the dryer is started. It then operates normally for whatever time limit we set, and then makes the noise again, although not as loud or long (probably half a second) when the dryer door is opened and the dryer stops.

This started happening about a week ago. The dryer is at least 13 years old and has been very reliable so far. It still dries clothes as well as it always has, it just has this brief but bad sounding noise each time we start and stop it.

I made a short video clip. The noise starts around the :02 second mark when I start the dryer and then again about the :11 second mark when I open the door:

[video=youtube;I4kLJemrCno]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kLJemrCno[/video]

I generally do my own home repairs and have done some minor washing machine repair before, but this is my first time looking into a dryer problem. Some videos I've watched and some posts I've read make me wonder if it's a blower wheel, but I really don't have experience with this and I'm just guessing with limited information.

Any idea what may be causing this and what needs to be checked or replaced?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

0 ( zero ).

has recently starting making a grinding/thumping noise for about one second when the dryer is started

Sounds like the fan blower wheel is broken/ground out on the shaft...

Blower-Wheel-53-0106-00556338.jpg LINK> Blower wheel

jeff.

alienux

Premium Member
I'm planning on taking it apart today or tomorrow. If I understand correctly, the blower wheel should fit very tightly, and if it doesn't, it's definitely in need of replacement. I'll post back once I determine if that's the case or not.

alienux

Premium Member
So I got the dryer apart and found the blower wheel. I could definitely feel a little play in the wheel on it's axle, so it was definitely not a tight fit. It wasn't very loose, but enough to have enough play in it to feel it. Here's a video:

[video=youtube;zJt3XgYOpcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJt3XgYOpcc[/video]

I put my ear near the blower wheel with it open and that's definitely where the sound is coming from. I assume that I can just remove all of the little bolts on the piece that covers the front of the blower wheel to swap it out fairly easily. Is that right?

Also, there was a piece hanging on the right side. Don't know what that is, but it was just hanging there.

alienux

Premium Member
I got the blower wheel replaced over the weekend. It was definitely the source of the noise. Thanks for the help!