• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

CVE28DP2NS1 What is the normal temperature for a GE Cafe 4 door refrigerator during the defrost cycle

Even

Premium Member
Model Number
CVE28DP2NS1
Brand
GE
I have a new GE CAFE 4-door CVE28DP2NS1. This replaced a previous refrigerator (same model) that built up 2" ice in the floor of the freezer. I am having moisture problems with the new unit in both the freezer and the refrigerator. Any container I put in the refrigerator section will develop water drops on the inside lid.

Vegetables seems to spoil faster than normal. Items in the freezer, unless they are vacuumed sealed, develop frost. GE sent out their repairman and he downloaded the history.

He told me that the refrigerator was a little cold (37) although this was the setting when I received it. He also said the readout shows that the refrigerator drops to 70 degrees during the recycle phase but only for an hour. This seems too warm to me but he wasn't concerned.

Then over Christmas the refrigerator was filled more than normal and I found that my food froze, especially vegetables in the refrigerator section. I should mention that I am careful not to block the air flow at the top. I would like another opinion of why a brand new refrigerator would perform so poorly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
He also said the readout shows that the refrigerator drops to 70 degrees during the recycle phase but only for an hour. This seems too warm to me but he wasn't concerned.
That's the problem, during defrost it should not go to 70 degrees or not even close to that.

The normal defrost time is anywhere between 20 to 40 minutes, when in defrost the temperature can rise about 10 degrees during that time frame, that's it period!

You need to get GE to come back out and what's going on.

Jake

Even

Premium Member
We had another problem when I had house full of guests and a packed refrigerator. Almost everything inside the refrigerator section froze. I kept the airflow free as I've been told. Is this indication of another mechanical failure?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, possibly. Did the GE tech come back yet?

Jake