• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

CYE22USHISS GE Café Ice Maker Not Making ENOUGH Ice.

tperk100

Premium Member
Model Number
CYE22USHISS
Brand
GE
GE Café Refrigerator, 5 years old.
Mod # CYE22USHISS, Serial # GH511937

Ice maker routinely makes ice, but not enough of it. For 5 yrs. my wife and I basically used the same amount of ice every day, and never ran out. Now towards the end of the day there is no more ice. With an empty bin at 9 pm, the bin in the morning is only about 50% full. I suppose this could be an actual ice maker problem, but before I pursue that…………………………………….

See the door open pic. As I understand it, freezing temp air enters the ice maker compartment via one or two of the oval gasketed ports. The ice maker takes it from there, and makes ice as fast as the water can freeze and the bin can dump. I don’t know if this is a symptom of the problem, but the upper oval port (on the right) is not providing any air. The lower port is providing freezing temp air. If the upper port is supposed to be providing freeze temp air, then this would explain why we are not getting as much ice. So, for starters, I’m trying to figure out if the upper port should be providing freezing temp air. If it should be, what is likely cause of the problem? I'm also wondering if I'm off base and the upper port is simply an air return.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Freezer Cold Air Supply.JPG

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This thread answers that question:

The ice cubes can only drop constantly when the ice maker thermostat gets below 10 degrees F and stays below 10 F degrees constantly.

Put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker compartment and give it 2 hours and see what it reads.

Get the RED Liquid or digital freezer thermometer. Walmart, Target sells them usually at about 10 dollars and they last a lifetime.

If your temp is good, then yes it would possibly be a intermittent bad ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
WR49X31524 Icemaker

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for your response. So now I know that one of the ports / vents IS a return. I just put one of those high / low recording freezer thermometers in the icemaker compartment. Will see what temps I get overnight.

tperk100

Premium Member
Jake,
At 10 pm the temp was 20 degrees. Had not opened door for about 2 hours. As I write this its 4 degrees. The thermometer recorder shows a high of 23 degrees since last night...with no opening the door. I do not know the duration of the high temp. I will set audible high temp alarm for today to hear how often it goes up past 10 degrees..

Theoretically, it should never go above 10 degrees? Is this correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Theoretically, it should never go above 10 degrees? Is this correct?
That is correct. When it goes above 10 degrees F listen if you hear the compressor and fans still running, or if the refrigerator is dead silent.

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Is it possible that temp would rise short period ot time during defrost or something like that?
When I caught it at 23 degrees I could not hear anything running. It's only gone to 23 2 times in last 24 hrs that I know of. Otherwise it is hovering around 5 degrees.
Also when temp was up, there was little to no air flow from either door vent.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it possible that temp would rise short period ot time during defrost or something like that?
Nope, and It shouldn't be going to 23 degrees even in a defrost cycle.

So you possibly have a intermittent thermistor problem or a ice maker fan motor thermistor problem, or even motherboard problem, but its going to be hard to nail down because its so intermittent.

Here's the freezer thermistor for your model:
Thermistor WR55X10025

Here's the ice maker fan motor thermistor assembly for your model:
WR60X10342 Fan Motor Im/asm Sensor

Here's the motherboard for your model:

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Nope, and It shouldn't be going to 23 degrees even in a defrost cycle.

So you possibly have a intermittent thermistor problem or a ice maker fan motor thermistor problem, or even motherboard problem, but its going to be hard to nail down because its so intermittent.
Last night it went to 23 degrees again, but again don't know duration.

Gotta tell ya the whole story here. I've had nothing but trouble with this refrig over the 5 yrs we've owned it. We bought the Lowes EPP (protection plan) We had 6-7 service calls during the EPP period. Per contract terms, FOUR calls = LEMON = BUY OUT. After many many hours of wasting my time, and me broadcasting my story on Facebook (this really got their attention), Lowe's Assurant refunded the price of the frig.

So at least this problem is with a "free" refridge. GE Factory Service (called in by Assurant) gave up on trying to fix this. They had replaced ice maker about a year ago (for different problem). A few weeks ago they replaced MBoard, trying to fix this, with no improvment.

Sooooo, we've adapted our "get ice" habits and, even with lower production, are not running out daily like before. We're going to just watch this for now, knowing that I can replace the components/s you suggested if things get worse.

Again, thank you very much for your valuable assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

Yes, I see you have had quite a time with it, sorry to hear that.

We're going to just watch this for now, knowing that I can replace the components/s you suggested if things get worse.
Ok sounds good.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.