• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Dacor Cooktop will not ignite

GeM

Premium Member
Model Number
SGM304
Brand
Dacor cooktop, SGM304, has four gas burners, none of the igniters will spark. I've cleaned the porcelain and brass ring, wiggled the knobs...none of them spark at all. The unit has power because the knobs that control two adjacent electric burners work. (The gas burner controls do not have a light, but the electric burners do have a working light, plus those burners operate normally.) I do have gas and light burners with a match. Anybody know the problem, part # needed, and can provide guidance on what's involved in doing this myself vs. calling a service technician? Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You probably need a spark module since none of the igniters are working. If your serial number is before #MF0000000 or after #MF0000000 you need this spark module:
Spark Module 86526 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Spark-Module-86526--00560061.jpg

GeM

Premium Member
Installed new spark module. Thank you for your diagnosis. I'm wondering if I mistakenly wired it in wrong. Now RF and LR burners work fine (these are two large burners). However, the LF (smaller) burner lights fine, but LR and RR burners continuously spark. Similar with the RR burner (other smaller burner)...it lights fine, but the LF and LR burners continuously spark. Here's how I plugged in the spark module: top row... RF on the left and LF on the right; bottom row: RR on the left and LR on the right.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

rickgburton

Staff member
The way it's designed is when a switch on the surface burner closes it completes the igniter circuit and all the igniters spark. Only the burner with the opens the gas valve will ignite. Once the burner ignites and you turn the knob past ignite/light all the igniters stop sparking.

GeM

Premium Member
Thank you. However, turning the knob past ignite/light does not stop the sparking. If either of the small burners are lit (Left Front or Right Rear) all four burners will spark. Only way to stop it is to light both of the small burners. That will stop it, but if one of them is then turned off, the sparking starts again at four burners, even the one that remains lit. The two larger burners (Right Front and Left Rear) operate/function properly.

I originally stated the my Dacor cooktop is an SGM304. It is an SGM464EM. The four gas burners have the same layout as the SGM304, but mine also has an electric unit to the left of the gas burners. The spark module is the same for both, #86526. Thank again for all your time and thoughts on this. I still suspect I may have mistakenly plugged the igniter wires incorrectly into the spark module. This is how I wired it: The Right Front igniter is wired to the top-left connector, the Left Front igniter is wired to the top-right connector. The Right Rear igniter is wired to the lower-left connector, and the Left Rear igniter is wired to the lower-right connector.

rickgburton

Staff member
It sounds like you have it miswired. Big or small doesn't matter at this point. With all four burners off, turn one knob to light and the burner lights, correct? Now turn it past light (on the knob). What igniters are still sparking?

GeM

Premium Member
Two of the four burners work correctly. The other two burners light, but after lighting and with the knob turned past light, all four igniters continue to spark. That sparking will not stop until and unless the other malfunctioning burner is lit. Then the sparking will stop. If I turn one of those burners off, then all four burners start sparking again. The two malfunctioning burners are the left-front, and the rear-right.

Thanks again!

rickgburton

Staff member
That sounds like it could be miswired. I need you to post a copy of the wiring diagram so I can tell you how to connect the wires.

rickgburton

Staff member
Unfortunately that won't help me. I need to see the original wire diagram so I can trace the wires to the right connection on the module. That way I can tell how the module is using the power supply. Each igniter is powered by a small transformer that turns the supply voltage into a DC pulse. I'll see if I can locate one but it's not a very popular brand and it's hard to locate any service information for their models. Your tech sheet should be somewhere on the cooktop probably in an envelope taped to the bottom. The tech sheet will have the wiring diagram on it.

GeM

Premium Member
I have no paperwork on this cooktop. Called Dacor and they sent me the wiring diagram. Now that I have this, I can wire it. I recall the spark module marked the connectors, S1...S4, etc. I think I am good to go. I tried to attach the file, but this blog will not accept PDF images. Happy to email if you want.

Rick, I so appreciate your assistance with this. Happy New Year, best wishes to you.

George

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can upload pdf but it can't be larger than 25megs.

You can convert pdf to image and upload the image file.:)

Jake