• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Dacor RV36 vent not working (again)

opnull

Premium Member
The failure symptom was that the it totally stopped working after a power outage. When I pulled the board the resistor was obviously cooked and almost falling off the board.

Wow thanks for the quick responses. I've inspected all the images I could find and I think the last band is actually gold, which would make it a 56ohm resistor. The gold band is the most prominent in this image:

When I measure the burned resistor I estimate it is at least 15mm long with the coating. I'll likely just order the 56ohm resistor with the highest power rating to be safe unless there is some reason this is not a good idea.

I'm thinking about just going with one of these: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...=sGAEpiMZZMsPqMdJzcrNwqUc9t2L8dy7e6NEAONw31k=

Gman, I'd love to get one of those capacitors. I can't find a way to send you a private message on this forum so I've put my email address in this link that I will delete once I hear from you: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x7hiX7rLeiX8oCeUtZ3Rkvte06xXl5CaAKJwKD3Se3U/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks a million!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I can't find a way to send you a private message on this forum
To PM: Just hover over his name and a popup box will appear, then click start conversation.:)

Jake

Goot

Premium Member
Hmmmm, a totally burned resistor suggests there's something else wrong. In my experience, resistors don't just short and burn up. They are the victim of something else causing more current to flow through them.
Any chance you can trace what the resistor is connected to? My bet is if you just replace the resistor it's just going to burn up again causing more board damage.
If you put in a resistor of the same resistance value with a higher power rating it will be fine assuming nothing else is wrong. But, if something else is shorted (causing excessive current in the resistor) then the higher wattage resistor will take longer to burn up which gives more time for the defective component to heat up and burn the board somewhere else.
Given the size of the resistor, I'd guess its part of the circuit that drives the blower motor.
Are you sure the board is totally dead? Is the fuse still good? With the bad resistor out of the circuit, does anything work at all?

Retired Gman

Premium Member
Also any of you folks who experience frequent power surges should consider using one of these surge protectors. I learned about voltage spikes the hard way when my Matag Neptune washer turned on the cold water valve flooding my garage because the $400 control board didn’t include a suppressor fast enough to clip off the spike!. It was one of the main reasons for the class action suit that bankrupted them back then. I repaired the burned trace on the back of the circuit board saving the $400. That was 16 years ago and we are still using that machine. Albeit with $10 worth of new drum bearings and a shaft seal 5 years later. See pics!

To Opnull, I sent you a PM for you to send me an address to which I will mail the C2 capacitor. Standing by for that.

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Will all the electronic controls used in household devices these days, a whole house surge protector could be considered as well.

Dan O.

opnull

Premium Member
@Goot thanks for the reply. The fuse is fine. This resistor appears to be a part of the power supply since the only thing between it and the 120v AC is a coil and a couple capacitors. I've been assuming that the original component was cheap since all the pictures I can find of it on my board don't even have stripes to indicate resistance.

The board does not function at all without the resistor. You make a good point about the root cause being something else on the board. I have a FLIR camera laying around. I'll replace the resistor and use that to keep an eye on the temperature of the board and see if something else starts heating up. Unfortunately until I replace the resistor there is not much other troubleshooting I can do.