• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Dacor RV36 vent not working (again)

Goot

Premium Member
Well, that's one way to solve the problem!! :)
Sounds like you're satisfied with what you have. But if you change your mind later, you should check out the mechanism that's lifting the hood to see if it's jamming or encountering some kind of resistance that would cause it to stop even though the lift motor is still running. If it is binding, that's likely what's causing the fuse to blow as the lift motor will draw a lot of current if it can't keep turning.
Take care!
-Goot

Coastboater

Premium Member
When taking things apart I looked at the up/down motor/mechanism. It had microswitches for the up and down limits and my guess was the upper switch was bad or out of adjustment. At that point I was well down plan B, so it got discarded. Now that we're in a new year, my cooktop is 20 years old.

Here's a pic of my mess. I'll likely redo the center piece for better aesthetics, but it's necessary since there's not enough "grill metal" to cover the entire opening length wise. It has another function of enhancing the suction in the open grill areas. To operate, open the underneath cabinet and toggle the wall switch 😀

E1BF268E-E823-475D-96F4-A32C15F135A2.jpeg

barnis

I've attached another version of the RV36 board pic below with some pointers locating the critical components for the issue described previously.

The yellow pointers are the two capacitors I replaced. The larger one is a 100uF, 50V electrolytic capacitor and the smaller is a 10uF, 50V. The 100uF cap was actually defective causing the issue. I replaced the smaller simply because it was so close to the hot zener diode. You can order these online through Amazon or any number of sellers for cheap, but they'll make you buy them in packages of 5 or more.

The red arrow points out the zener diode that is discoloring the board. If this part is bad your unit likely won't do anything at all. So if you're getting any lights, noises or movement, then the zener diode is probably okay. To be clear, the discolored board is normal so don't assume the board is toast just because its ugly! If the board is actually burned and/or the zener is physically burned (black and crunchy) then you're gonna need a new board.

The green arrow points to the 5V voltage regulator. The output from the zener feeds into the voltage regulator that then generates a 5 volt output the runs most of the circuitry on the board. Once again, if this part is bad you're not going to get any lights, sounds or movement out of the unit. If you have a volt meter you can check the three legs on the regulator (don't short them together accidentally when probing) and see if you have around 28 volts on one of the legs and 5 volts on another (the third leg won't have any voltage on it). If you have that then there shouldn't be anything wrong with any of the components mentioned above.

One other thing to mention, if the lights and controls on the panel seem to work okay, but the blower simply buzzes or struggles to start then you may have a bad start capacitor. The start capacitor is housed inside the metal enclosure that's holding the blower itself. It's a fist-sized "metal can" sitting inside the enclosure wired directly to the blower.

Hope this helps!

Dude I owe you a beer! I had the exact issue and your solution was the exact fix. I spent $10 on the capacitors from Amazon and had them swapped out in 2 minutes. The hard part was certainly getting the board out and back in but it was done! My wife thinks I'm a genius.

Goot

Premium Member
Dude I owe you a beer! I had the exact issue and your solution was the exact fix. I spent $10 on the capacitors from Amazon and had them swapped out in 2 minutes. The hard part was certainly getting the board out and back in but it was done! My wife thinks I'm a genius.
Nice work barnis!! You are a genius for braving the effort!! :) Enjoy your new "cred".