FIXED Danby Dishwasher DDW1899BLS Neutral wire heating up at power switch

wbc63

Premium Member
Model Number
DDW1899BLS
Brand
I have a Danby built-in dishwasher in which I had to replace the main circuit board in (Sticking mid-cycle). After replacing the circuit board, all was well except a hot plastic smell near the off/on switch. I removed the panel and noticed the plastic bracket that holds the switch in place was melted. Insulators on wires were also blackened, but not charred.

After replacing switch I ran the dishwasher, and the wires still heat up, but only during certain phases of the wash cycle. Otherwise they are cool. Two of the wires going to the switch are blk. and Wht. It is the Wht. wire that gets hottest. This happens to be the neutral and power wire coming from the Jbox where current comes in. Have checked and tightened all connections relating ot this neutral from the buss bar up.

Could my heating element be going bad causing the white wire to heat up only during what seems to be heating cycles? Neutral at Buss bar and jbox does not heat up. the brown wire that connects to the neutral via the switch also heats up.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the resistance of the element and compare it to what the tech sheet shows. Danby is not that popular and usually considered a low end machine. There's not much service information available and many local parts houses don't stock any danby parts. See if there's an amp rating on the motor and check that. There might be an amp rating for the element on the tech sheet.

wbc63

Premium Member
Check the resistance of the element and compare it to what the tech sheet shows. Danby is not that popular and usually considered a low end machine. There's not much service information available and many local parts houses don't stock any danby parts. See if there's an amp rating on the motor and check that. There might be an amp rating for the element on the tech sheet.
Motor is rated for 1.0A, and Heater is rated for 8.2A.
I totally disconnected the neutral wire and the wire it coneects to via the switch and wire nutted them. This left only the hot wire being switched.
After that, the neiutral stays cool always, but hot wire heated up at switch and within 3-4 inches from the switch. Again, cools down when the heater is not on,

Placed an ammeter on the hot wire today, when motor is running by itself it draws 0.6-1.0A. this is normal. When the heater turns on, I get a reading of 9.2A (max) to 9.75.
My ammeter is missing probes, and dishwasher is still under the cabinet, so I'm not able to check resistance on the heater itself. By the way, the heater on this unit is not an element type. It is about the size of a fist, and is inline near the pump.

wbc63

Premium Member
Using ohm's law I get 11 ohms. What does the tech sheet say?
No tech sheet available that I know of. Have spent alot of time looking online, and all that I have been able to find is owners and parts manuals. Danby was no help either.

wbc63

Premium Member
No tech sheet available that I know of. Have spent alot of time looking online, and all that I have been able to find is owners and parts manuals. Danby was no help either.
Placed ohm meter on heating unit, and I get resistance of 14.5-14.8.

rickgburton

Staff member
The resistance for the element sounds about right but without the tech sheet to compare it with I'm not sure. If any of the wires are burned that could cause them to heat up.

wbc63

Premium Member
The resistance for the element sounds about right but without the tech sheet to compare it with I'm not sure. If any of the wires are burned that could cause them to heat up.
Cut all wires back about 2" going to the switch, replaced connectors, and 2 pole single throw switch. All is well. Running at 8.8-9.2A (normal) with heater on, all wires and switch remain cool. Had to be some resistace in the heated wires.
Now I just have to engineer a hole in the faceplate to acomodate the non-oem rocker switch. Small stuff. The Danby switch was quite inadequate.
Thanks so much for your help!

rickgburton

Staff member
Anytime my friend! Happy we could help. Glad to hear you got it working right! Good job!