• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Danby DWC040A3BSSDD wine fridge electrical diagram to install a fan under it

gsnake

Premium Member
Model Number
DWC040A
Brand
Danby
hello,

I am looking for Danby DWC040A3BSSDD eletrical diagram. Want to buy this wine fridge and install a 12v fan under it so it would cool it off (I am going to built it in). I want to connect this small 12v fan in parallel to the existing fans that are inside the fridge.. Although the unit does not get hot so maybe this is not really needed.. thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

There normally is a diagram on the back of the unit at the top.

Why a 12 volt fan?

If you are worried about the unit over heating underneath....I'd put an 120 volt AC fan in and wire it in parralell to the compressor so when ever the compressor is running the fan will also run.

JMO!

jeff.

gsnake

Premium Member
thanks Jeff, that makes sense. I went to the store to look at it and it gets warm at the top and on the sides then cools down very fast (not sure how this happens). the back wall is cold at the bottom and not even warm at the top.. So maybe this is not even needed. I will have 4" clearance underneath the fridge and about 1" at the top and about 3/8 at the sides.. probably good enough as is without the fan.. For the very similar unit built by GE they say it could be built-in with 0 clearance..

jeff1

Staff member
I went to the store to look at it and it gets warm at the top and on the sides then cools down very fast (not sure how this happens).

Hot condensor tubing is inside the walls...when the compressor is running the tubing get warm...when the compressor shuts off the tubing cool to room temp.

I will have 4" clearance underneath the fridge and about 1" at the top and about 3/8 at the sides.

That sound like a lot.
I found...

Allow 5 inches (12.7 cm) of space between the
back, sides and top of the appliance and all
adjacent walls.
• This appliance is intended for free-standing
installation only and is not intended to be
built into a cabinet or counter. Building in this
appliance can cause it to malfunction.

jeff.

gsnake

Premium Member
I read what the manufacturer says.. but the same thing from GE says it could be used as built in with 0 clearances.. i honestly think they are all using the same freon, compressor, etc.. it gets warm quickly and cools down quickly too.. well, I am replacing the old GE one that came with the house (2004 model - too expensive to repair) so I have to fit something in there.. :)

gsnake

Premium Member
1601227085770.png

can you please let me know what wires should i use to hook the fan? i am not an expert reading this :)

jeff1

Staff member
i honestly think they are all using the same freon, compressor, etc..

Freon has not been used since the mid 90's. Compressors have changed with all the different refrigerant gas that has been used in the last 20 years.
The R600 used as an refrigerant gas today is 90% propane and very flammable.

jeff.

Attachments

• danbydiagram.png
    danbydiagram.png
    635.2 KB · Views: 19
  • danbydiagram.png
    danbydiagram.png
    635.2 KB · Views: 15

gsnake

Premium Member
thanks Jeff, I got it. basically there are only 2 wires coming to the compressor and i measured the voltage just to be sure. yes, it was on and off so I just connected the extension cord to these and plugged 12v adapter with a fan. works great! i do feel the draft coming out of the top when the compressor is on. so hopefully this would help the unit to stay cooler. time will tell. should not be a worry in the winter anyway :)
thanks again!