• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Danby DWC283BLS Mini Wine Fridge - compressor not running

dsynadinos

Premium Member
Model Number
DWC283BLS
Brand
-brand-
Before I give up and buy a new one, I'm trying my best to repair our mini wine cooler. Any help is appreciated...

We have a Danby mini wine cooler. Model #DWC283BLS. Sometime in the recent past, we noticed it was no longer cooling. Opening it up, I've noted that 1) it still gets electricity (the light bulbs turn on), 2) the fans seem ok (I checked all 3 and they turn freely), and 3) the compressor doesn't vibrate, hum, or otherwise turn on. Based on this and some deep Googling, I found a variety of potential causes and repairs. The most likely seemed to be a bad starter relay (#8ea14c3) and/or series protector (4TM 293sfbyy-53). See the attached photo. When I removed the starter relay, it didn't "rattle" when shaken...but the series protector did. So, I thought that might be the problem and I ordered a new one. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem. There is no change - the fridge still gets electricity, but the compressor doesn't run. I wonder if the replacement part I got is also bad, or perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree.

So, before spending more time on self-diagnosis and more money on wasted parts, I figured I'd ask the experts: Any ideas?

I'm an armchair DIY guy, and always try (to fix) before I buy (new). But, I also understand if the suggestions are beyond me. Anyway, thanks in advance!

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, right off the bat I'm guessing you don't have a DMM (meter). You need one. Here's how to test the overload and relay. Set your meter on the lowest ohms scale and measure the resistance between the terminal on the front of the overload to the one on the back. It should measure less than 1Ω. Measure the resistance of the relay across the two holes on the back. It should measure 3-23Ω.
R-OL.jpg

Measure the resistance of the compressor start windings and the run windings:
R -Compressor Windings Test NEW.jpg

TO_

I just bought this same cooler second hand. It worked at first but now the bottom temp keeps rising and the top keeps falling. Any ideas on what to look for? I noticed the fan on the top (where it is getting very cold (32 degrees when its set at 54)) in the back is not moving and need to get a stripped screw out before I can get to it. But it doesnt seem like that is the only issue here. I appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I noticed the fan on the top in the back is not moving ... But it doesnt seem like that is the only issue here.
It sounds like just a fan issue. I don't have any tech info on that model but it's easy to figure out. The fan motor is most likely a 12V DC motor. Check for about 13V at the fan motor. If there's no voltage the control board is bad. FYI: Most all the parts for that machine have been discontinued.