• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DBC514BLS Danby beverage fridge not cooling below 50 degrees

RTVINTX

Premium Member
Model Number
DBC514BLS
Brand
I have a Danby Silhouette beverage fridge model DBC514BLS that does not cool below 50 degrees, it is 3 years old. I have cleaned the coils, both fans run (constantly), the compressor is running (vibrating when touched) but it is also hot to the touch. I have it off and when last powered on I noticed the tube coming out of the compressor initially got cold and then warm. Not sure where to go from here.

I also noticed the fridge is constantly running, not cycling off then on as fridges normally cycle.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It's a sealed system problem. Most likely the compressor is bad. Very common on that model.

RTVINTX

Premium Member
Thanks, and since it is a sealed system problem it is not repairable, or it is cost prohibitive to repair.
I noticed that Danby is still selling that model. Have the gone to a better compressor on the newer DBC514BLS models?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value. Danby is a Canadian company known for their "compact" machines. They use cheap parts that are hard to find. Back in the 90's Danby machines were known as throw-away machines. Most of their low end machines only have a 30 day warranty. If there's a problem during that time they don't fix them, they replace the machine. Since then Danby has expanded their appliance market to include beverage centers and wine cellars, bar machines and even SXS refrigerators. I don't know if they have replaced the compressors with better ones but most of the ones that always crapped out said "Danby" on the compressor. Some of the wine and beverage machines don't use a compressor. They use thermoelectric cooling:
Thermoelectric Peltier_Cooler.gif