FIXED DBSR453EB2WW GE Electric dryer not hot enough

Saint_of

Premium Member
Model Number
DBSR453EB2WW
Brand
GE
It gets hot but not nearly enough. It takes several hours (6 to 8) to dry a medium to large load. This started about a week ago, just after the dryer made bad grinding noises for a few seconds and then there was a sound of something hard bouncing around. Right after that, it stopped heating properly.

OK, so I took it apart and did a visual inspection and did not see any wiring issues. However, I did find the little flange thing that goes in the hole in the back where the rear drum fits. That was probably what I heard bouncing around.

I ran an altimeter all around the wiring and the only problem I encountered was with the white wire that connected from the power cord and ran to the door. I took off the back metal panel to make sure it was connected properly and it was.

So I put everything back in, reset the little flange as well, and then tried it out. It's been running for 45 minutes and doesn't seem to be drying properly.

Does anyone know if that white wire should give a reading? I'm an idiot when it comes to electricity, wiring, etc so bear with me. I thought that the white wire was the ground, so it wouldn't have an altimeter reading. I can't find anything else wrong with it unless maybe part of the coil is not heating up enough. Not sure how to fix that if that were the problem though. Help, please!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

altimeter
Really?
An altimeter or an altitude meter is an instrument used to measure the altitude of an object above a fixed level. The measurement of altitude is called altimetry.

It gets hot but not nearly enough. It takes several hours (6 to 8) to dry a medium to large load.
A copy:

Quick Info Tips

Q: Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load.
A1: Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.
A2: If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground. Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat thermometer or pocket thermometer can be used for this. It should cycle approx between 120 degrees and 160 degrees ( without clothes ). Check that the drum seals are not worn out.

jeff.

Saint_of

Premium Member
Hi,

Really?
An altimeter or an altitude meter is an instrument used to measure the altitude of an object above a fixed level. The measurement of altitude is called altimetry.
Thanks! LOL! Yes, an altimeter wouldn't have done me much good. Maybe my multimeter didn't either!

I checked the vent hose and it had some wet lint clumps in it so I'm going to replace that and clean out the pipe before removing the drum and check under it again. It really does seem like there's no air flow because there would be steam coming out when the door was opened but the clothes were still wet, not just damp, after about an hour.

Thanks again!

Saint_of

Premium Member
After all that, it's doing the same thing. Spinning with ample heat at the top of the dryer but none blowing through the vent pipe. I've got the hose off the back and no air, hot or cold, is blowing out. I will check the drum belt to make sure it's powering the flywheel but I'm 99.9% sure the belt is in the right spot.

The air is just not circulating and I'm not completely sure the heat is high enough either.

jeff1

Staff member
Remove the front panal ( power off first! ) and check the fan blower for sure. Check the ducting under the lint screen.

Some helps...
Link one.
Link two.

jeff.

Saint_of

Premium Member
Thanks! I was finally able to figure out that the blower wheel was not spinning, thus no circulation of hot air. I fixed it and it's working but in taking apart the blower housing, etc, I think I didn't get everything to match up just right so the wheel was a bit tight. It's making a small grinding noise so I'm running a load now and keeping an eye on it.

The dryer is 15 years old and I'm 54 so I think this might be my last repair job on this one! Time to start saving on a new one.

Thanks again for your help!

jeff1

Staff member
I think I didn't get everything to match up just right so the wheel was a bit tight. It's making a small grinding noise
Yupper, just a hair forward or a hair towards the back and the fan blower wheel will scrub the housing.

Thankx for the update.

jeff.