• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DBVH520GJ1WW GE Dryer Stops Mid Cycle

JoeFrank

Premium Member
Model Number
DBVH520GJ1WW
Brand
GE
Hi All. Looking for some Ideas. My GE dryer model DBVH520GJ1WW will run normally on all settings for most of the cycle, then abruptly shut off. The heat shuts off and the drum stops spinning. Im assuming it is over heating some component and loosing continuity, causing the stop. I cleaned the entire exhaust vent, then ran the exhaust test, it passed (restult: HI). There are no codes stored in the memory. When cold I can set it to timed dry on high for 30 minutes with no load, it will run for about 16 minutes before it stops. Other drying times will vary depending on the size of the load in the dryer. Looking for your thoughts on the most logical place to start before I start taking this dryer apart and testing everything. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

JoeFrank

Premium Member
Update: After some more searching on this site - I ran the dryer in air fluff mode (no heat). 10 minutes and it shut off. Based on what I have read in these forums, Im down to either the motor being bad ($164), or the control board ($288). I'll keep searching, but anyone have tips/ideas on how to diagnose either of these? Appreciate it!

JoeFrank

Premium Member
Did a massive cleaning of the case and the motor. made it thru a 30 minute cycle. looks like all is operational. Suggest all on here give their machines a good cleaning!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Joe, its very important to clean the inside of the dryer, especially on and around the dryer motor as lint can suffocate and overheat it, causing the dryer to shut down mid-cycle.

Sounds like your back in business, good job. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake