DBXR453ET3WW GE dryer on/off switch

pamelaw72

Premium Member
Model Number
DBXR453ET3WW
Brand
GE
I have a 10 plus year old GE dryer. The rotating on/off switch broke off and I ordered a new one. I took a picture of the wiring but cannot find it now. It is a 2 prong switch; a prong on the top with the number 1 next to it and a prong near the bottom side with the number 2 on it. There is a red wire and then a brown wire and off white wire that combine to fit on one prong. Can someone tell me where they go please??

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The turn to start switch?
This one here?

Red on 2 and Brown on 1.

jeff.

pamelaw72

Premium Member
The switch you show is correct. I connected the wires, brown with the piggyback on 1 and red on 2. When I turned the dryer on sparks flew out of the panel :( Now I am totally scared to mess with it.

jeff1

Staff member
When I turned the dryer on sparks flew out of the panel
From where?

The switch you show is correct
It is like a light switch, just open and closed. I doubt that sparked. Something else may have or a wire came off elsewhere.

jeff.

pamelaw72

Premium Member
The sparks came from the timer control. You have to turn it to a setting first before you turn the on/off knob. When I turned the timer control, sparks shot out from the back of the timer control.

jeff1

Staff member
he sparks came from the timer control.
Possible bad timer....but more possible a wire came off during your inspection/repair and it is touching something else or maybe a wire connector bent over and is touching another wire during your inspection/repair....I'd check ( power off ) that as a good place to start.

jeff.

pamelaw72

Premium Member
The dark brown wire with the piggyback goes to the control knob. The red and light colored brown run down into the machine.
wire1.jpg
wire1.jpg
wire2.jpg
wire3.jpg
wire1.jpg
wire1.jpg
wire1.jpgwire2.jpgwire3.jpg

jeff1

Staff member
That red wire has an arc mark on it.....looks like that touched something it shouldn't have.

jeff.