• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DBXR463ED1WW GE Electric Dryer - premature shut down

stackmatic

Premium Member
Model Number
DBXR463ED1WW
Brand
GE
Hello.

I have recently been experiencing problems with a GE electric dryer - model # DBXR463ED1WW. The dryer shuts down prematurely several times during each load. This happens in both the "timed dry" and "auto dry" modes. Heating and ventilation seems fine. The dryer is less than 2 years old.

I'm guessing a faulty thermistor/thermostat (or similar component) is the culprit. Perhaps one of these:

High Limit Thermostat WE4M137 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

High Limit Thermostat WE4M160 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance... stackmatic

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I doubt it would be those thermostats, it would more likely be this one:

Cycling Thermostat WE4M216 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

But I would try an experiment first. Pull your dryer away from the wall, take off the exhaust vent hose, then run a load with the heated air just going into the room, if it drys good, then the issue is in your vent tubing in your house.

Also check to make sure your motor is not clogged up with lint, causing it to overheat and shut down prematurely.

This video will help you take it apart:

[video=youtube;i7V0Xt3ENo8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7V0Xt3ENo8[/video]

Jake

stackmatic

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake.

I finally got around to spending some more time on this. I conducted the experiment you suggested - pulling the dryer away from the wall and disconnecting the venting hose - and did two loads without experiencing the shutdown problem. I then cleaned out the venting hose best I could - there was a fair amount of build up but nothing that I thought was excessive. I then hooked the hose back up and did another load.

Ventilation to the outside seemed fine - airflow was quite strong - but the dryer shut itself down after about 10 minutes. I noticed that the top of the dryer was abnormally warm to the touch and the dryer would not restart until I allowed time for it to cool down sufficiently.

So then I removed the top and front of the dryer. I immediately noticed a large build-up of lint around the plastic impeller that is attached to the motor. I'm guessing (as you suggested) this build-up was impeding the motor and causing it to overheat and trip a thermal sensor forcing shutdown. I thouroughly cleaned out the impeller area, reattached the dryer's front and top, and now everything seems to be working fine.

So thanks for the advice Jake. I salute you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job finding that excess lint and fixing it stackmatic.:)

Jake