FIXED DBXR463ED2CC: Installed new motor in dryer, now have a low buzzing noise halfway through cycle

AnnieHall77

Premium Member
Model Number
DBXR463ED2CC
Brand
GE
My dryer is 14 years old. Had a burnt-out motor and replaced with new one yesterday. I put through one test load and all seemed well, but halfway through the cycle a low-frequency buzzing/vibration noise started. Not deafening but noticeable. (Dryer itself does not vibrate, just trying to describe the nature of the noise.) Clothes dried fine and the cycle completed.

Blower wheel looks okay and is clean. Vacuumed out the interior of dryer when I was in there. I also recently replaced the belt, the front bearing, and two years ago replaced idler pulley.

Took it apart after new noise started but everything looks situated okay. Any ideas? Motor was bought brand-new from GE. A gold metal wire-end snapped off of black ground wire when swapping out the motor, but I repaired that with a wire connector repair kit. Everything went together okay, but could that be causing the noise?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Annie,

You'd need to pinpoint exactly where that noise is coming from, what I do is unplug the machine, then remove the belt from the motor pulley, then plug the machine back in and you will only hear the motor running by itself, then you can listen for that odd sound you're hearing.:)

Here's the motor for your model, in case others need it too(Video Included):
GE WE17X10010 Dryer Motor Kit

Jake

AnnieHall77

Premium Member
I did that but could not replicate the sound. Then I took everything apart and put it back together again, paying extra attention to tightening up things just in case there was something loose. I put everything back together and ran another test load. No noise! I don't know if I fixed it or if it's just one of those intermittent things. Will update if I hear it again. Thanks for the reply.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You likely fixed it when you took it apart again and put it back together.:)

Thanks for the update Annie!

Jake