• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DD24DCTX9 Fisher Paykel dishwasher quitting part way through cycle, error code of A3

QC Inspector

Premium Member
Model Number
DD24DCTX9
Hi. I live here in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada and have an issue I need help with.

I have a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher model DD24DCTX9. It was installed December 2016 / January 2017 when we built the house.

The top drawer unit is quitting part way through the 116 minute cycle, beeping slowly and displays an error code of A3. According to the User Guide A3 is "Drawer cannot drain. The drainage hose may be blocked or kinked, or the connection to drainage pipe may be blocked."

Unplugging and waiting to do a reset will allow it to be restarted when the pause button was pushed to continue but after adding more water and turning a while it stops and the message returned.

Sucking out all the water with a shop vac including from the spray arm and debris screen, unplugging and restarting will let it wash some more before stopping again.

I unplugged it, vacuumed it dry, got under, removed the cover and disconnected the drainage hose. I can blow air easily through to the sink so it isn't plugged. I can thread a long plastic Zip tie in and touch the impeller and feel it move. I can thread the same Zip tie through the drawer sump to the impeller and move the impeller (visible under the spray arm, same pump), so nothing is clogging the pump, in or out.

I reassembled everything and plugged it back in and restarted it with the pause button. It finished rinsing and pumped out the rinse water.

I tried it on the rinse cycle and it filled, sprayed and pumped out the water.

I got brave and loaded it and turned it on to wash the load. It stopped and the A3 error code returned.

I don't know if there is a solenoid or valve sticking/not working or if the control board has got on it.

The lower drawer works correctly.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this critter or am I destined to have to call in for in home service?

Thanks
Pete

PS. I would have put this in the dishwasher section but there is no Fisher Paykel or Other Dishwasher section.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi Pete, the problem is we have little or no information on Fisher Paykel machines. We also have no resources for any service information. They're just not a popular machine. If you can locate the tech sheet (look under the lower panel or on the bottom of the tub) it should have steps for diagnostic mode and definitions of error codes.

QC Inspector

Premium Member
Thanks for responding. I have all the documentation that came with it. It does have a brief troubleshooting chart, that's how I knew the error code was not draining. It all seems to end with call for servicing. Naturally loath to do that if it is something simple to fix. It has been a great machine for the two of us and is thrifty with the water we have to pay for. When I get a service to look at it I'll post back with what they say.

Pete

BilgeRat

Premium Member
Pete.
Just an idea, but it's easy to check. Take the racks out, lift out the spray bar and the filter screen and undo the lock ring that holds down the filter plate, remove it, and then undo the locking ring for the motor's rotor. Lift the rotor out, and check the white impeller on the bottom of the rotor. That's the drain impeller. If it's worn (very easy to bend the blades), it won't develop enough pressure to open the check valve. See the attached photo, this is the worn one I replaced in our machine a few months ago.

Another possibility is a stuck discharge check valve. I checked ours by pushing a length of Tygon tubing that has the same OD as the discharge port, and blowing into it. It should open easily. Just a thought, but worth a look/try.

Attachments

• 20200712_092646.jpg
    20200712_092646.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200712_092636.jpg
    20200712_092636.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 12

QC Inspector

Premium Member
You are correct in that it was the pump. The little white vanes were soft and one decided to leave for a new home in the septic tank. I had a local repair guy come and from my description of the problem over the phone brought a pump. He replaced it in a jiffy, test ran the drawer and then checked the lower drawer to see how it looked. It was fine so I just had to pay for the pump (about $100Can) and service call (a little more than the pump). Way better than a new dishwasher. :) I've kept the old pump for the numbers so I can get another should the problem happen again. It has been a great machine for the two of us and I am happy it is working again.

Pete