• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DDW1899WP Danby not draining not drain pump or anything obvious

davidevans

Premium Member
Model Number
DDW1899WP
Brand
Hi I was looking for some help with a problem dishwasher. It's a danby portable and it keeps stopping after wash cycle and not draining. It's a portable I did have it plumbed in permanently with a few minor alterations and has worked fine for nearly 2 years. It stop's and beeps 20 times roughly on every program I've tried and a red light flashes very fast to signify the fault. And leaves roughly 2 inches of water in the bottom.

I have run it with waste pipe just into a bowl on the floor to see if it was a waste issue. Problem persists. The drain pump runs but just not for long enough it would seem.

I have put a new drain pump in it and the fault persists.

I took out the one way valve flap to see if made any difference in waste just past drain pump still no difference.

The waste pipe is clear all the way from drain pump for definite.

I checked the pressure switch and that is working and switching between poles ok which controls the pump. But not sure where other end of the tube is joined up to.

Tube to pressure switch looks fine.

Here's a link to part list: View attachment DDW1899WP PARTS LIST.pdf

I'm at a loss. Could it be control panel?

I even tried plugging into a different circuit to the same as refrigerator (which it's next to) in case of volt drop from that pulling too much load.

I'm not massively in to rinsing plates etc before I put in, but the dishwasher never gets blocked filter basket and still looks like new. There was no waste what so ever in the waste pipe.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for reading this

David

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I have run it with waste pipe just into a bowl on the floor to see if it was a waste issue. Problem persists. The drain pump runs but just not for long enough it would seem.
I have put a new drain pump in it and the fault persists.

WE only see 1-2 of these d/w's a year but the sump area might have some plastic or something floating around and is getting sucked into the pump or the pump entrance.

Sorry cant help more.

jeff.

davidevans

Premium Member
Jeff thanks for the response appreciate it. I have checked the sump it's clear and I swapped the pump so I think I can eliminate that. The waste line is free all the way from pump for definite. I took out the one way valve just to see if that made any difference just in case it didn't. Still scratching my head!

Last edited:

davidevans

Premium Member
Hi Jeff no I did not prime it or know I needed to. It spins in a pool of water in the sump. It does pump out majority of water just not all of it. Do you think it needs priming? thanks again!

jeff1

Staff member
It does pump out majority of water just not all of it

So it does drain. How hard is the water coming out? Pump shuts off before all the water is out, pump is still running the water stops draining?

Do you think it needs priming?

If it is draining some water, probably not.

jeff.

davidevans

Premium Member
Hi thanks again, it comes out at a decent speed not a torrent but not so slow that it appears blocked estimate roughly a cup full every 5 seconds. The pump shuts off and the water stops coming out.

cheers

david

jeff1

Staff member
The pump shuts off and the water stops coming out.

Might be an idea to check for power at the pump.....power off and the pump of course shuts off and maybe it is a controling issue....power still there and the pump shuts off is a pump issue, maybe over heating and stopping. Most drain pumps will run approx 60-90 seconds or so, timing it may help.

jeff.

davidevans

Premium Member
Ok will do the check with pump, I'm fairly sure it's a control issue but will make sure that way. I had another thought that it could be the detergent dispenser not opening properly and that interupting the cycle. I seem to remember it not opening fully before I had problems with the dishwasher and it leaving detergent at the end of cycles. I just ran a rinse only cycle i.e doesn't need to open dispenser and that completed fully with no fault. I am running that cycle again to check it wasn't a fluke. I will then look at all the cycles and if detergent door opens. If it doesn't could it be that causing the machine to stop do you think? Update the rinse ran ok again.

Thanks

David

davidevans

Premium Member
Hi that's what I thought but didn't know for sure, anyway I fiddled with the latch on the dispenser (without taking it apart) any way it clicked inside the mechanism. Anyway ran it again on another cycle and it went all the way through, and another and another it's all working. So I am none the wiser on how the detergent dispenser door opens or if the machine even knows that it's open?

The other thing that happened between it not working and working was the rinse aid light came on. There is a possibilty I guess that the sensor for rinse aid was interfering somehow. I've not put rinse aid in yet just going to run it a few more cycles before I do to make sure then if I put rinse aid in and it stops I'll know it's that.

But I've got it all back together minus the one way drain valve which I left out just in case, all plumbed in and working fine once more using the original drain pump. Have run about 5 cycles so far all fine!

Thanks again for your help and time.

Regards

David

Kds444

Premium Member
I have read over this thread and just wanted to make sure I understand everything as I am having the same problem: your Danby dishwasher wasn't draining completely, but was draining some, and would stop cycling and have a flashing red light appear on the control panel. You found nothing blocking the drain hose, and the internal machinery (sump, drain pump, etc.) all seemed to be operational. Then you fiddled with the detergent dispenser, heard a click, and pow, on the next attempt, the machine started working again like normal. Is that more or less what happened? Please say "yes" because I, too, permanently installed my portable Danby and have already started busting out tiles in order to gain access to the back of it again so that I can check the drain pipe for an obstruction that I have absolutely no reason at all to believe is there. I have had the flashing red light and no-drain problem intermittently in the past, but somehow the problem has always eventually gone away. Not this time, though... At least, not so far. But I am going to go fiddle with the detergent dispenser right now and see what happens. Please confirm that this was all you did to get your machine working again. The dishes are piling up!!!! Thank you!

Update: fiddling did me no good. There is this: immediately when I turn the machine on, I hear something start to hum. There is too much water in the basin right now, and I am pretty sure that there is an overflow switch somewhere that is sensing this and trying to drain out the excess water even before I tell it to begin a cycle. But all I was getting was a trickle of water out the exhaust tube. Now I am not getting anything at all except frustrated. I have taken off the front panel and had a look at the controls, but all the wires appear to be firmly in place and there isn't any damage to the circuitboard anywhere that I can see.

Last edited: