FIXED Default 665 Chopper Assembly - Update #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you always have to remove that drain pump motor first before it lifts up and out. After I remove that drain pump motor on the right side, I reach my hand back and feel for that thermistor and untwist it to disconnect it, then I reach my hand even further back to feel the motor connector wiring harness and unsnap it, then everything should be clear to lift it up and out.

Jake

dpath

Premium Member
Ah, that's the advantage of years of experience, I guess. I had to fumble around like the novice I am :).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats ok, you got it.:)

Jake

rwdavis2

Premium Member
But it all came out eventually. The problem, apparently, seems to be worn vanes on the motor spindle that drives the chopper -- compared to the new motor, the old spindle is basically a spike with nubs. Seems a shame to replace an apparently perfectly fine motor when all that seems to be busted is the spindle, but I guess that's just the way Whirlpool rolls.
I just got a new motor and chopper and I noticed the same thing. Both of the couplers (chopper and motor shaft) appear to have been worn down. The new ones look much more capable of doing the job. They really should be metal.

When I originally had the Sears guy ($165 but I then new what to look for) out hear last December he either missed that or did not know what to look for.

rwdavis2

Premium Member
Final installment. Once I pulled th old motor it was obvious the motor shaft couple was almost completely sheared off. I don't think the Sears tech recognized when he saw it as every time I cleaned the chopper since then the blade turned freely as compared to now. Once the 2 coupler engaged as they should the blade turns but it's kind of stiff as if I'm actually turning the motor bushings too.

I'd like to thank you Jake for all the help and directions. Everything went in and out as planned and I only had one big leak before I got the one hose on correctly. Hopefully no more toothpicks to foul up the works.
Bob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad you got it fixed Bob, thanks for patience, good information and photos.:)

Jake

DrewTheRat

Premium Member
Thanks!

Hey everyone, thanks for this thread. It had the precise information I needed to diagnose and repair my Whirlpool QUite Partner IV. The old chopper assembly was in pieces and the coupler on the motor was completely worn down.

I went with the a whole new pump/motor assembly for your model:
Pump and motor assembly

For $20 more, it has a whole new sump assembly with a new chopper and all new covers and protectors. Well worth it, as individually those parts cost a fortune.

Thanks to the instructions in this post, I had the dishwasher repaired in about 2 1/2 hours.

-Andrew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Andrew, good job.:)

Yes, getting the complete sump assembly is worth it.:)

Jake

bmacdoug

665 now working. Thank-you.

Hello,

What a great site! I have a Kenmore 665 DW that began washing poorly recently. After checking that the water temp was OK, that the water fill level was OK, element was heating, etc. etc., I found that the middle and upper spray arms were not turning properly. (This required running the DW with the door switches engaged with a small screwdriver and a bunch of towels around the door.) I also found that ketchup is a great diagnostic tool -- put a vertical line of ketchup on the inside door surface and run the machine, it should disappear within a minute or two if the spray arms are operating and water pressure/level are OK.

In any case, I was able to disassemble the sump components and clean debris from the sump area, the macerator, the check-valve, and the fine screen. Everything is now back to normal.

Does Sears expect consumers to call for a service tech to do this every time the wash quality gets poor, or are they expecting us to junk and replace viable appliances just because the screens are clogged? It appears that cleaning the sump/screens/macerator should be an annual thing, and should be doable without tools and without having to become a technical detective. The manuals are entirely silent on this. I will do some serious investigation before buying another DW.

Regards,

bmacdoug

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job bmacdoug.:)

Does Sears expect consumers to call for a service tech to do this every time the wash quality gets poor, or are they expecting us to junk and replace viable appliances just because the screens are clogged?
I agree completely on what your saying, wish I had an answer.

Jake

GreenScrew

Premium Member
My Kenmore 665 started the noise issue a few loads ago. I was considering replacing but sure glad I happened upon this site! I have the chopper and check valve ordered and due for arrival on Wednesday. I just took things apart in preparation, only to find that the screen has completely detached from the shaft and the chopper blades are no where to be found. Do I need to worry about where the chopper blades went or am I going to be OK with just replacing the parts (and the blades had a path out the drain)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, can't imagine where the chopper blade could be if you don't see it laying there in the sump.

But yes a new chopper assembly and check valve should fix it.:)

Whats the model# of your dishwasher?

Click here to locate the model#:
Help Me Find My Model Number - RepairClinic.com

Jake

GreenScrew

Premium Member
Thats odd, can't imagine where the chopper blade could be if you don't see it laying there in the sump.

But yes a new chopper assembly and check valve should fix it.:)

Whats the model# of your dishwasher?

Jake
Its a model 665 and although it looks like its listed as the serial number 16933000 appears to ge the more specific model number.

Unless they were never their, the blades have disappeared. My main concern is if they could have been sucked into the motor and might still be a problem now or in the future. The screen was laying loose in the sum, just a hole where it once attached to the shaft. The part of the screen that is left on the shaft (looks like a washer now) appears to have two "tabs" that I'm guessing was where the blades were once connected to it?

Since the noise started up we've found fine white plastic material floating around and clinging to the dishes after a cycle. I ran the dishwasher very briefly (empty) in the disassembled state and the motor appears to be quiet now. Not sure where the white plastic residue is coming from I assumed it was whatever was making the noise but now I see that plastic is actually grey. The brief rinse and drain didn't get rid of it, so I'm thinking its floating so might be hard to get rid of.

In any event, it sounds like the missing blades (if they existed) won't be a problem? The teeth on the drive off of the motor appear good so once I get the new chopper/screen and check valve on Wednesday hopefully I'll be all set. I know its going to be a while before I'm confident those vanished blades won't come back to haunt me.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, thats very strange, I've seen the blade break and fall off the screen before and always found it laying in the sump.

Here's the chopper screen for your model:
Manufacturer part number 8268383 is RepairClinic item number 830886

Here's the video to check/change it:

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/lRDbTgBOtIE?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Jake

maxblack

Premium Member
Once I pulled th old motor it was obvious the motor shaft couple was almost completely sheared off. I don't think the Sears tech recognized when he saw it as every time I cleaned the chopper since then the blade turned freely as compared to now. Once the 2 coupler engaged as they should the blade turns but it's kind of stiff as if I'm actually turning the motor bushings too.
I have a Sears Kenmore 665-17373300 from 2003, and altho it seems that the motor is running (and spinning) it is not moving any water, as if the impeller might be spinning freely on the motor shaft. I believe that the motor is indeed spinning because when I open the DW door, which of course turns it off, I can hear the thing spinning-down (and now that I think of it this spin-down takes quite a few seconds to occur, and it seems it ought to go to zero RPM a lot faster).

Is the impeller PLASTIC and if yes does it merely ride on serrated teeth on the metal motor shaft, such that maybe the inside of the impeller sheared-smooth and that's why now it doesn't move water? If yes, do I only need a new motor, and is the link in this thread the right one for my DW? Everything else looks to be in good shape i.e. the chopper screen and blade look OK, as do the white teeth on this assy and the black teeth on the motor shaft with which it engages.

Where I'm at right now is that I've disassembled to the point of even having the chopper assy off, and I put it to Quick Rinse mode and when it fills and then is (supposed to be) moving water, and I can hear that the motor seems to be spinning, I quickly open the door and observe that the black mechanism that meshes with the removed chopper blade is not even turning, despite that I can hear the freely-spinning motor spinning down...

Thanks for this very valuable site guys!

rwdavis2

Premium Member
I have a Sears Kenmore 665-17373300 from 2003, and altho it seems that the motor is running (and spinning) it is not moving any water, as if the impeller might be spinning freely on the motor shaft. I believe that the motor is indeed spinning because when I open the DW door, which of course turns it off, I can hear the thing spinning-down (and now that I think of it this spin-down takes quite a few seconds to occur, and it seems it ought to go to zero RPM a lot faster).

Is the impeller PLASTIC and if yes does it merely ride on serrated teeth on the metal motor shaft, such that maybe the inside of the impeller sheared-smooth and that's why now it doesn't move water? If yes, do I only need a new motor, and is the link in this thread the right one for my DW? Everything else looks to be in good shape i.e. the chopper screen and blade look OK, as do the white teeth on this assy and the black teeth on the motor shaft with which it engages.

Where I'm at right now is that I've disassembled to the point of even having the chopper assy off, and I put it to Quick Rinse mode and when it fills and then is (supposed to be) moving water, and I can hear that the motor seems to be spinning, I quickly open the door and observe that the black mechanism that meshes with the removed chopper blade is not even turning, despite that I can hear the freely-spinning motor spinning down...

Thanks for this very valuable site guys!
In my case the chopper assembly was stuck due to a toothpick which stopped it from turning. Therefore the motor teeth kept turning and wore themselves down to the point where they would not engage even an new chopper. So I had to replace the motor.

maxblack

Premium Member
Hmm rw you're saying that with the chopper stuck, it's white teeth engaged the black hub from the motor, but the "motor teeth" somewhere in-back of these things that we can NOT see are what wore down? If yes that seems like a bad design huh! Even with the chopper jammed, the thing ought to move water and keep working...

I did find a toothpick and another hard piece loose down there ie. the mechanism wasn't jammed, but maybe they'd done their damage and floated-free again?

Last edited:

rwdavis2

Premium Member
Hmm rw you're saying that with the chopper stuck, it's white teeth engaged the black hub from the motor, but the "motor teeth" somewhere in-back of these things that we can NOT see are what wore down? If yes that seems like a bad design huh! Even with the chopper jammed, the thing ought to move water and keep working...

I did find a toothpick and another hard piece loose down there ie. the mechanism wasn't jammed, but maybe they'd done their damage and floated-free again?
I can't remember what the motor teeth looked like. But they were the ones that got ground off with the chopper jammed. Yes, Very bad design, IMHO.

maxblack

Premium Member
I can't remember what the motor teeth looked like. But they were the ones that got ground off with the chopper jammed. Yes, Very bad design, IMHO.
Well, I have ordered a new motor and housing (not much more than the motor by itself) so will have mine torn-apart soon enough. I really appreciate that you started this thread, with the pics, and your expertise!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.