• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Defrost Not Working on Whirlpool Refrigerator Model WRF736SDAM11

DDHEY

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM11
Brand
Whirlpool
Defrost not working on Whirlpool Model Number WRF736SDAM11, Serial Number K34416254, so coils freeze over, but the refrigerator and freezer continue to function properly otherwise. Had a local repair guy come out, and he replaced the defrost sensor, but the coils froze up again about a month later (photo attached), and the fan starts making noise as it begins making contact with the built up ice. Now, the repair guy says the circuit board needs to be replaced, so I took the cover off and there are two boards, the Power Supply Board (W10453401), and the Main Control Board (W10589838). Before I purchase a new board, I would like to know if this is the logical solution.

Attachments

• Frozen Coils.jpeg
    Frozen Coils.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 35

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The freezer defrost thermostat ONLY comes when you order the freezer evaporator fan motor, Did the repair person replace the freezer evaporator fan motor that comes with the defrost thermostat?

The defrost thermostat(aka Bi-Metal) on this model only comes with the freezer evaporator fan motor.

Here it is below, its the black round part with the metal clip on it:
Evaporator Fan Motor WPW10514110

If the defrost thermostat and defrost heater ohm test good, then the only part left that controls the auto defrost is the control board.

Here's the control board for your model:
WPW10589838 Electronic Control Board

Its also here:

The new control board fixed these 2 members units, with this same problem yours is having:

Let us know how it goes, we love updates here.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What are your thoughts on having a circuit board repair shop fix mine, test it, and then re-install?
That's your choice and that sounds logical to me since its currently out of stock everywhere.

Jake

DDHEY

Premium Member
That's your choice and that sounds logical to me since its currently out of stock everywhere.

Jake
Just had Whirlpool authorized repair rep come out, and he tested the defrost thermostat and defrost coil. Both tested fine. Service mode 06 Defrost Thermostat shows 02 bi-metal open, so he said the problem is the Board, but he can't find a new one anywhere in the U.S. after checking all suppliers. Based on attached schematic diagram, would a circuit board repair shop need to focus primarily on all P2 #7 board components, or are there other components that could impact the operation of the bi-metal?

Attachments

• WRF736SDAM11 Tech Sheet.pdf
    338.7 KB · Views: 36

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Based on attached schematic diagram, would a circuit board repair shop need to focus primarily on all P2 #7 board components, or are there other components that could impact the operation of the bi-metal?
That I don't know, sorry.

Hopefully another tech. or member that knows can answer that for you.

Jake