• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Defrost timer issue with HT21TS45SW Haier Refrigerator

rvh

Premium Member
Model Number
HT21TS45SW
The fridge's defrost timer is broken ( Haier 0060402415, WR09X29230-> 10A NON-IND 1/3hp 14.7 HOUR TIMER). I have verified the fridge still works by manually putting it into defrost mode. I tried to replace this timer with a configurable one ( UET120) but I think it was defective as when I force it into defrost mode ( hold the button for 60 seconds) it started to click really loud. Eventually it stopped working and I couldn't get it out of defrost mode. I thought maybe it was defective, so I tried an EDT11 ( I couldn't get an EDT10) and it also clicks alot in defrost mode. I have attached a video, what are the chances that both timers are defective? I have verifed the connections with an ohm meter to ensure the leads (4 of them) are properly connected.

Haier HT21TS45SW

Attachments

• IMG_0699.MOV
    3.2 MB

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I have verified the fridge still works by manually putting it into defrost mode.
Hmm...... If you put the machine into defrost mode and the defrost element turned on, the only thing you verified is the element works. Take it out of defrost mode and if the compressor turns on you verified the compressor works.
I force it into defrost mode ( hold the button for 60 seconds)
There's no buttons to to press to get into defrost mode. It has to be done manually at the timer. Turn the dial on the timer slowly one click at a time until the compressor turns off. You are in defrost mode.
I have verifed the connections with an ohm meter to ensure the leads (4 of them) are properly connected.
How did you "verify" it with an ohm meter ? My guess is the replacement timer isn't wired correctly. The defrost timer has 3 terminals, a space, and another terminal. Ignore any numbers by the terminals. It's more important that the wire on the old timer goes on the same terminal on the new timer.

ge defrost timer 09X29230.jpg

rvh

Premium Member
Thank you for your response and questions. Both the Supco EDT11 and the uet120 have buttons to push to switch between the defroster and the compressor. They both turned on the compressor but had issues in defrost mode ( see attached video) . My current broken defrost timer "works" expect the clock is broken. I now turn the knob every day to put it into defrost mode for 10 minutes before turning the knob again to take it out of defrost mode. I know the timer is broken because the timer is not spinning anymore. I verify which terminals were which with the ohm meter by checking the resistances on the defrost timer in defrost mode and in compressor mode. This allowed me to determine the common, defrost and compressor terminals. I also verified the timer motor terminal was connected to the neutral on the plug of the fridge.

rickgburton

Staff member
what are the chances that both timers are defective?
Pretty good if you have it wired correctly and that timer works for that model. Do you have the wiring diagram?

rvh

Premium Member
Please see the attachments for the fridge and deforst timer wiring diagrams

Attachments

• Fridge-WiringDiagram.png
    Fridge-WiringDiagram.png
    616.4 KB · Views: 46
  • EDT11_man_001.pdf
    497.4 KB · Views: 43

rickgburton

Staff member
Looks like a regular GE timer. I've never used a programmable timer but it sounds like you need a 3rd timer.

rvh

Premium Member
Thank you for your advice. Do you know how important it is to match the timing specs (see below)? My current timer 14.7 hour interval and 11.5 minutes defrost. Can I assume if I get a shorter interval timer with a longer defrost time the fridge will be less efficient but it will still keep things frozen/cold? Do you have a recommendation for a replacement timer as the programmable route is not working for me?

10A NON-IND 1/3hp 14.7 HOUR TIMER
120V
50/60 HZ
SPEC. NO. CK-3001-56 11.5MINUTES

rickgburton

Staff member
Do you know how important it is to match the timing specs (see below)?
It's kind of important. The link for the WR09X29230 timer is in post #2. That's the GE timer you posted in your first post. The most common defrost time is every 6 hours for around 20 minutes. Yours is twice the amount of hours for half the amount of time. It probably has to do with the size of the evaporator and heater wattage. That must be a Haier thing and I have no way of looking up that model. All three of my parts sites don't show any Haier models. Sears shows the model number but no parts.

rvh

Premium Member
I also had a hard time finding the exact replacement model for the timer. See the attachments for the pictures of the actual timer.
The following youtube video is the exact issue I had with my fridge and it looks like the same fridge model and defrost timer: Haier Refrigerator Defrost Timer Troubleshoot
Looking at various websites was how I came to the conclusion above for a replacement timer, but I was hoping to use a configurable one instead:
Haier Part# RF-7400-052 -> Haier 0060402415, GE WR09X29230

I did find some website state Haier Part# RF-7400-052 -> Haier 0060402415, GE WR09X29230 but that timer has a different form factor than the one I'm trying to replace.

Attachments

• Haier-DefrostTimer-front.png
    Haier-DefrostTimer-front.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • Haier-DefrostTimer-back.png
    Haier-DefrostTimer-back.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 46

rvh

Premium Member
I did find some website state Haier Part# RF-7400-052 -> Haier 0060402415, GE WR09X29230 but that timer has a different form factor than the one I'm trying to replace.

Correction: Haier Part# RF-7400-052 -> HAIER 0064001749 -> GE 0064001778 -> GE WR09X28646 but that timer has a different form factor than the one I'm trying to replace.

rvh

Premium Member
Taken from the web: "Form factor for computers refers to the size, shape, and physical specifications of hardware or hardware components. ... Form factor is very important for connection compatibility." The form factor is different for the GE WR09X28646 defrost timer because it has more terminals ( 6 vs 4)

rickgburton

Staff member
Form factor for computers refers to
What does form factor for refrigerators refer to? Your form factor has 4 terminals and that form factor has 6. It won't work. What's the problem??

rvh

Premium Member
You are correct. I was trying to point out I have been misguided when the web suggested a timer with 6 terminals as a compatible replacement.

I would like to us a configurable timer or a generic one instead of Haier Part# RF-7400-052 -> Haier 0060402415 -> GE WR09X29230 but it appears I may not have a choice because of the uncommon interval timer ( 14.7 hours vs 6 hours)

rickgburton

Staff member
I searched a lot of places but no joy. The best I could find is a 12 hour 35 minute timer. The longer it takes between defrost cycles the longer the defrost times. I think you'll be OK with 6 hour 20 minute timer. The defrost thermostat will keep it from getting too hot. You might get a temperature spike for 30 minutes but it probably won't be noticeable. Keep in mind I have no information on that machine at all. I don't think it will work with a mini-fridge. or anything under 15 cubic feet.

rvh

Premium Member
Thanks for your response. The fridge I'm trying to fix is a: Haier HT21TS45SW Frost-free Top Freezer Refrigerator 20.7 Cu Ft Wht