DFF092C1BSLDB Danby refrigerator not cooling/freezer works just fine

MAnderson

Premium Member
Model Number
DFF092C1BSLDB
Brand
Hello, I have a Danby refrigerator model DFF092C1BSLDB and the freezer coils freeze up after 2 weeks and force me to turn the power off and thaw out the freezer to get it working again.

This is only 3 years old and out of warranty. Here is what I know so far:
-The fan sitting on top of the coils and blowing up into the refrigerator works just fine. And when it stops working there is no ice buildup in the air-road panel up into the fridge. Only ice on the coils.
-This model does not have a timer like most standard models. It has a thermal cutoff C0472.4.4, defrost protector C1414.4.4, and a defrost heater C0817.4.3. From what I know these are the 3 most likely culprits. I did test for continuity and everything seems fine from what I can tell but I am not 100% sure in this case. Some information I have found leads me to believe I need to test in a cup of water to test properly.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I know I can get the thermal cutoff and the heater but the defrost protector (defrost bimetal) has been challenging to find. Thanks again!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I had to pick a different colour refrigerator...I hope this is the same as yours.

This model does not have a timer like most standard models
More than likely uses a board then.

890101702.jpg Control board

I did test for continuity and everything seems fine
Then the board is the likely trouble maker.

jeff.

MAnderson

Premium Member
Thanks for your response Jeff! This is my first try at anything like this and this refrigerator has been a damn pain. I will try to track down a defrost heater and a board to try. Hopefully these will both be straightforward for a beginner.

MAnderson

Premium Member
Hi,

Yes, I think they made a mistake on their site because under my model # there are only a few parts listed but the model in white to the right lists multiple parts that will work with my model. And I have an Excel document with every part in the fridge with their corresponding part #’s so I am able to confirm that they are correct. https://www.danbyapplianceparts.com/product-category/danby/refrigerators-danby/dff092c1wdb-refrigerators-danby/

I was hoping to get from Parts Direct because they allow returns up to a year just in case. Danby doesn’t appear to have that option. Here is what I am thinking a good strategy might be:

-Triple check for continuity in the defrost heater. If I am sure that I have continuity I will buy the defrost protector direct from Danby (since it is only 20 dollars with shipping) and rule that out.
-If both of these are functioning buy the board. I have been researching how to test the board but I am have been unable to locate schematics to work through the process and test with my multimeter.

Either way this is fun for me to learn because I knew literally nothing about refrigerators before and I am gradually developing a better understanding. I feel like I am getting closer to getting this thing up and running again.

Thanks again for your insight!

jeff1

Staff member
I think they made a mistake on their site because under my model # there are only a few parts listed but the model in white to the right lists multiple parts that will work with my model.
I ran into the same issue. I -think- there is just not some updated and that is why some newer model#'s only have a few parts listed.

I feel like I am getting closer to getting this thing up and running again.
Keep us posted.

jeff.

MAnderson

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

So, I replaced all of these parts with the exception of the defrost heater and the problem is still happening. The board can be returned so the cost isn't an issue and the other 2 parts were cheap. The heater is going to be about $50 and I can't return it so I am trying to do my best to eliminate any other issues first. I did test it but I am not 100% sure I am doing it right without knowing the proper resistance I am looking for. Any thoughts? I am wondering if it is some faulty wiring between the board and one of these components. Thanks for any insight.

C1416.4.1 PC BOARD
C0472.4.4/BD THERMAL CUTOFF
C1414.4.2 DEFROST PROTECTOR
C0817.4.3 DEFROST HEATER

jeff1

Staff member
I am wondering if it is some faulty wiring between the board and one of these components
If the heater will not come on and the heater checks ok and all defrost parts are new.....that is about the only thing left :(

jeff.