• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DFSS9VKBASS GE Fridge and freezer not cold enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

kersh

Premium Member
Model Number
DFSS9VKBASS
Brand
GE
ref:

I installed a bullet piercing valve on process tube and recharged to + 2 PSI. I'm having trouble maintaining fridge and freezer as cold as I'd like. Freezer +10 F, fridge +40 F. I tried putting a bit more R134 in but now it's periodically frosting over the suction line and it doesn't get any colder.

Prior to charging I saw the suction line was pulling around -10psi. So I'm concerned I may have some air in the system. I do have a vacuum pump and the necessary lines and fittings to suction the system down and recharge. Can I do so just via the suction line? As I understand it I should vacuum the system down entirely and then run the pump for an additional 30 minutes, then check to see if vacuum holds for 10 minutes?

I looked on the forum but didn't see a tutorial. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or give me the necessary steps? Thanks so much!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We don't really get into sealed system repair here there's a lot to it, but @dashriprok might be able to help you further.

When I do sealed system repair, I ALWAYS replace the FILTER DRIER, and then vacuum it out with the vacuum pump running about 30 minutes and see if it holds, to make sure you have no leaks.

Here's the basic filter drier for sealed system repair:
whirlpool-drier-tube-w10843121-ap5988872_01_l.jpg

Jake

Last edited:

dashriprok

Appliance Tech
Yes, replacing the filter/dryer is and drawing down the pressure with a two-stage vacuum pump is standard practice however, when a refrigerator is old or questionable is some way, we give the customer an option of a cheaper repair ~ just add freon and leak sealer.

If the suction line is frosting over, that usually means your have too much refrigerant in the system.

On your case, can you post a picture of the freezer evaporator after the refrigerator has been running for at least 20 minutes? I'd like to know what the frost pattern looks like. Are all four fans running/working?

Last edited:

kersh

Premium Member
Would there be any harm in vacuuming down the system without replacing the filter dryer? I ask because I don't have a welding rig and would rather not have to bother at this time.

kersh

Premium Member
Am I assuming correctly that I should leave the frig unplugged during evac/vacuum? At what point do I plug back in when recharging?

dashriprok

Appliance Tech
For the way you're doing and with your limited tools, draw down pressure with vacuum pump for at least 30 minutes. Turn the refrigerator on before adding freon and leave it running while you add it.

kersh

Premium Member
Thanks for the help. So far so good. Fridge and freezer cooling much better now, without frosting up the suction line too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.