• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DG19CS Maytag Dryer - Stains on clothes

motorwiz

Premium Member
Model Number
DG19CS
Brand
Maytag
I have had an ongoing issue with oily stains on clothing. I assume caused by/in the dryer since air dried clothes do not have stains.
I have replaced drum felts front and back, drum glides, door gasket, drum rollers, and I cleaned the drum baffles, Yet staining continues. Any suggestions to track down the cause and solve this?

Attachments

• Clothes Stains IMG_9668.jpg
    Clothes Stains IMG_9668.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Clothes Stains IMG_9669.jpg
    Clothes Stains IMG_9669.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 20

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I assume caused by/in the dryer since air dried clothes do not have stains.

Or the heat from the dryer is making the marks look worse.
None of those marks/spots in the pictures look like a dryer issue to me ( from what I can see )...they look more of an washer issue.

This is an coin operated dryer.
What is the washer model#?

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jeff1 said:
None of those marks/spots in the pictures look like a dryer issue to me

I agree with Jeff. Dryer marks are usually elongated streaks, not isolated spots.

On some washer models it's possible for oil to leak into the tub and eventually onto clothing. Inspect the clothing carefully before drying.

JMO

Dan O.

motorwiz

Premium Member
Thanks for the comments. The washer is Maytag Model: LA230S-C2.

Where should I be looking for oil leaking from washer? I did check the transmission and didn't notice any leaks. But I'll check more carefully.

jeff1

Staff member
LA230S-C2

Nothing comes up for me with this.

Where should I be looking for oil leaking from washer?

1)Let the washer 1/2 fill up with hot water, agitate a bit and then fill up the rest with cold water...see if any oil floats in the water.
2)Remove agitator and check under there.

jeff.

frustrated guy

Premium Member
For me it was either chap stick left in pocket (during the was cycle OR dry cycle) or accumulations of Downey in the fabric softener dispenser of the washer that would deposit itself into clothes during the spin cycle. I ruined a thousand dollars of clothes over a couple of months time. Melted-in or burnt-in wax is death to fabrics.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
frustrated guy said:
Melted-in or burnt-in wax is death to fabrics.

I heard of one way to get melted wax out of fabrics. Place a sheet of spare cloth (natural fabric - cotton, linen, etc.) over the fabric with the wax on it. Get a hot iron and run it over the spare cloth sitting atop the wax stain. As the iron melts the wax it gets absorbed into the cover martial. Move that material to a fresh section and iron over the wax spot again and again, as necessary.

There might be a video on YouTube showing the process.

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
For me it was either chap stick left in pocket (during the was cycle OR dry cycle) or accumulations of Downey in the fabric softener dispenser of the washer

Usually softener stains can be washed out, esp if soaked and pre-treated....not sure about chap stick. No harm in trying Dan's idea as the clothes are already marked.

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Another I heard of, freeze it. Wax should get crumbly when frozen. Try working the material after freezing for a day or two.

g/l

frustrated guy

Premium Member
Usually softener stains can be washed out, esp if soaked and pre-treated....not sure about chap stick. No harm in trying Dan's idea as the clothes are already marked.

jeff.
Not so for me. I found Downey stains impossible to remove, I even pulled out my heavy artillery, Gunk engine degreaser. :) So after using downey all of my life, I switched to suavetel or something like that; it doesn't cake up like downey did. (dirt cheap too) I didn't kick downey to the curb completely, I still love their balls. :excitement: (plastic spherical dispensers that open during the spin cycle)

jeff1

Staff member
Odd, I have never had much trouble removing softener stains.
From Tide:
From How stuff works:
From Grabgreenhome:

jeff.