• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DG303 Maytag Dryer Buzzer Won't Stop

jk823

Premium Member
Model Number
DG303
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag dg303 dryer and it works perfectly fine except when it stops at the end of the cycle, the buzzer does not turn off. No problems starting/stopping/heating. The only problem is the buzzer fails to shut off at the end of each drying cycle! Help!

Thanks,
J

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Your symptom can be caused by a shorted 'push to start' switch.

Will the dryer start running after setting the cycle, even before pushing the start button?

On most dryers that start switch has a separate button on the control panel but on your dyer model I believe that function is part of the timer itself. If that is malfunctioning the timer would have to be replaced (or rebuilt) to correct the condition.

Dan O.

jk823

Premium Member
It’s strange... I think the push to start works. It also seems like if I use “Air Fluff” it turns off correctly without all the buzzing. But the other two settings don’t work.

jk823

Premium Member
I was wrong. Air fluff has the same problem.

Basically the buzzer always goes unless the dryer door is open. (If the buzzer is going off and I spin the knob, the dryer turns back on without doing push to start.) however, with the door open (and the buzzer off) if I turn the knob to a time (i.e. 5 mins air fluff), the timer ticks away without the dryer starting (because the drop is open). Once the 5 minutes (or whatever) is over I can close the door without setting off the buzzer. Does that make sense?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jk823 said:
If the buzzer is going off and I spin the knob, the dryer turns back on without doing push to start.
I would say that indicates a problem with the push to start circuit. Someone should check the associated timer contacts. (I'm afraid i don't have access to a wiring diagram for the machine to see which timer terminals those are.)

jk823 said:
Once the 5 minutes (or whatever) is over I can close the door without setting off the buzzer. Does that make sense?
Only that it might be an intermittent timer contact failure rather than an outright short.

Dan O.

jk823

Premium Member
Thanks for the help! Sounds like I might need to call a repairman in? I was hoping it was something I could take care of myself.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On this model your timer is the push to start switch, so the timer is the problem.

Don't waste your money having a tech. come out, the timer for this model is No Longer Available.

Jake

jk823

Premium Member
Oh no! Should I try and replace it with a used one from eBay? How difficult would that be? Or should I just leave the door open when the cycle finishes?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jk823 said:
Should I try and replace it with a used one from eBay?
There are companies that rebuild mechanical timers. That would probably be better than chancing a used one... if you can even find one. It isn't overly difficult to remove and replace the timer on a dryer. There aren't many wires. The timer terminals are all marked. Just keep notes of which wires go where.

Dan O.

jk823

Premium Member
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but where can I find a company that rebuilds timers? I'm in the Los Angeles-area.

jk823

Premium Member
I ended up finding a used one on eBay that wasn't too expensive. (And eBay offers a Square Trade warranty that even covers used items so I added that for a little piece of mind.) Do you guys have any guidance for where I can watch a video of someone replacing a timer on a DG303? I've found a few other videos on replacing timers but none that are as old as my machine. Thanks so much!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

jk823

Premium Member
Thanks. That clip is helpful for figuring out the basics. Certainly it's something worth trying myself. Appreciate the help.

jk823

Premium Member
Found a used timer on eBay and swapped it — Dryer works perfectly! Wanted to say thanks to Dan and Jake for your help diagnosing the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent. (y)

Jake