FIXED DGUS2645LF2 Ice thru door

Craddock01

Premium Member
Model Number
DGUS2645LF2
Brand
Frigidaire
First, let me say this ice maker sucks. It has too far travel for the ice in door dispenser lever and it DUMPS ice. It's almost inevitable that you get ice all over the floor when using it. Despite that, I want to fix the door ice dispenser since I don't want to lose all of the cold air by opening the freezer door every time I want ice.

When I depress the lever, the internal flap flips open for a split second and then shuts again. The ice doesn't come out nor do you even hear the mechanism rotate at all. Neither crushed or cubed works. If I open the door and press the button and hold the flap open when actuated, I then get ice shooting out which makes me think there is no jam.

Any ideas?

S/N 4A22716744

Thanks

J.T.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi J.T.,

Yes, the problem is your dispenser module, seen this happen a few times on my service calls.

Here's the dispenser module for your model you can order here:
242074223 Module-Dispenser

You just pop off the plastic frame with a putty knife, use a cloth over it to protect you from scratching your exterior door, and then removing several dispenser module screws. There should also be Three small electrical plugs that disconnect from it.

Jake

Craddock01

Premium Member
Jake -

As usual, very informative & quick to respond. I'll be ordering a dispenser module and also donating to applianceblog.com

MUCH APPRECIATION!

J.T.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks J.T..:)

Let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

Craddock01

Premium Member
Question: why is this part listed by Frigidaire via Amazon at about the same price charged here but the same part offered by Electrolux on Amazon is almost 1/2 the price & is the Frigidaire part THAT much better? I thought Frigidaire was owned by EHP

Craddock01

Premium Member
I guess I should clarify...I purchased the part you recommended from AppliancePartsPros but I was curious why the difference just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In 1986 Frigidaire was purchased by Electrolux, its current parent.

I have no clue about the amazon thing, as I buy all my appliance parts from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic when I service my local customers.:)

Let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

Craddock01

Premium Member
OK - Complete and it DID fix the issue - but... easier said than done lol. For anyone else attempting it, I hope you have better luck popping the trim piece off than I did. The top and both sides came loose pretty easy but when it got down to the bottom sides near the corners, they would not budge. I ended up having to break the tabs in order to get the trim piece off. After looking at it, I can see why. I have attached some pictures but the gap that the tabs snap into gets narrower as you go down. When you get near the bottom there isn't enough of a gap to allow the tabs to be pulled out. The stainless steel flange is bent inward which is why the tab can be inserted but not removed (think of finger cuffs). Turns out I didn't really need those bottom tabs as it went back together nicely and the trim isn't loose. Thanks again Jake.

full.jpgleft.jpgright.jpgtabs.jpgfullwtrim.jpgbottomtrim.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent J.T., glad to hear the new dispenser module fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Yes, I see your photos, that's very strange why they did that, I agree.

Jake

Craddock01

Premium Member
Same fridg/freezer different problem. I have never in my life heard of anything like this & I would think even the possibility of this happening would raise liability issues.

I was out of town this past weekend. Came home to the kitchen floor flooded. A quick glance showed a water filled tray below the dispenser and water that had run down the door. Standing water in my basement. The ice maker container had very little ice in it (it holds a TON of ice) so I figured the inner flap stuck upon and caused all the ice to melt.

Cleaned up the mess, checked the flap to make sure it was closed and proceeded to make dinner. All of the sudden, with no one near the fridge it started dispensing crushed ice - all over the floor I just cleaned. I opened the door & it stopped. I proceeded to clean the floor AGAIN and when I was 90% finished it happened again. I opened the door and it stopped.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do. I pulled the ice container out and closed the door. Thinking that the power button (upper right of display) powered down the dispenser I shut it down then realized this kills the power to the entire fridge. Turned it back on and apparently the default when powered down is water (vs cube/crushed) and water started shooting out of the dispenser. I open the door, water still comes out. I then frantically pull the fridge out and turn the valve to cut the water off. Kitchen flooded again. WTF?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is very weird, there should be a LOCK button to LOCK the dispenser controls and that would shut off all functions of the water and ice dispenser, LOCK that and see if it keeps ejecting the ice and water on its own, if it still does with LOCK ON your control board is bad.

Here's the main power control board for your model you can order:
5304499076 Board-Main Power

It should be located underneath the refrigerator, watch the video below, should be similar to where yours is located.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Craddock01

Premium Member
Jake -

Very helpful as usual. I assumed the control lock was to prevent changing any settings from the control input screen and to lock out for cleaning. Considering nothing/no one was depressing the lever or any of the buttons I'm not sure locking them out will do anything. I locked it out last night after turning the water off and emptying the ice. I took every precaution since I did not want to mop the floor for a 5th time:wall: I'll pay attention tonight and see if I hear the ice door/flap actuate.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, let us know if LOCK ON makes them not come on.:

Jake

Craddock01

Premium Member
OK - so I'm not exactly sure how the Lock function works (I understand it locks out the controls but I don't know the specific details) but with it locked out, I assume during normal functioning, after lockout, the back light goes off after a few seconds. This happened after I locked it out. Now keep in mind I still have the water off, the arm up on the ice maker and I have emptied the ice reservoir for obvious reasons. At various times, the back light will come on (by itself with no input and with the panel locked out). Sometimes I can depress the dispensing lever and release and the light will then go off, other times it will stay on. It will stay on for long periods of time and then go off automatically. I assume this means it is still receiving an input from a control board. Am I correct? One other question; the video for replacing the main power board shows a bottom mount freezer model. I assume this is still the same process for my side by side? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The LOCK ON should make it not let anyone be able to use the dispenser at all.

So, with LOCK ON, did it try to make the ice come out by the auger motor running by-itself?

Where did you buy the Dispenser Module at back in Oct. 2018? I hope not amazon like you were talking about.

Jake

Craddock01

Premium Member
I have not actually lowered the ice arm but I will try that but I'm pretty sure it's still getting power because even with the water shut off I'm getting a small puddle below the dispenser in the tray when the light comes on. I fairly confident I purchased the dispenser module from here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Good,

I pulled the ice container out and closed the door. Thinking that the power button (upper right of display) powered down the dispenser I shut it down then realized this kills the power to the entire fridge. Turned it back on and apparently the default when powered down is water (vs cube/crushed) and water started shooting out of the dispenser. I open the door, water still comes out. I then frantically pull the fridge out and turn the valve to cut the water off.
Turn the water back on and do what you did when the water wouldn't shut off, but instead of turning the water off at the valve UNPLUG the refrigerator from the wall outlet and see if the water stops.

Jake