• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DGUS2645LF4 Frigidaire Refrigerator - Freezer not freezing but fridge side is fine

nosaj03

Premium Member
Model Number
DGUS2645LF4
Brand
Frigidaire
My freezer on my side by side model has recently started to have issues with rising temps and food not being completely frozen. It is normally set to 0 and the fridge is set to 33. The freezer temps will rise ( up to 20+ degrees at one point). I've done some preliminary research and replaced the temperature control thermostat and the evaporator fan motor. I've also cleaned out the condensor coils behind the unit. I'm still having the rising temp issue. Any suggestions before I trash the thing and buy different unit?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is your condenser fan motor running? It's in the back of the refrigerator mounted next to the compressor.

If so, remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a photo of your evaporator coil so we can see the frost pattern of it.

Jake

nosaj03

Premium Member
The condenser fan motor is running. I cleaned the condenser coils in the back and the vents in the cardboard panel.

I'll see about taking pics of it later but the frost is primarily at the top. The bottom half of the evaporator coils was fairly frost free.

I did check the connections on the temp control thermostat and I think they were loose. I redid the butt connectors and replaced the heat shrink and it seems to be holding steady at 0. I did have an issue with it rising to 6 degrees after putting everything back in the freezer but it did go back down.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the frost is primarily at the top. The bottom half of the evaporator coils was fairly frost free.
That usually indicates a sealed system problem.

Look at these photos below:

Frost Patterns.jpg

I did check the connections on the temp control thermostat and I think they were loose. I redid the butt connectors and replaced the heat shrink and it seems to be holding steady at 0. I did have an issue with it rising to 6 degrees after putting everything back in the freezer but it did go back down.
So the compressor must not of been running at all times if your freezer temp is at 0 degrees now after doing that.

Just keep your eye on it.:)

Jake

nosaj03

Premium Member
The frost pattern from the last time I looked at it doesn't exactly match the Sealed system pattern but it is close. One caveat to that is I did inspect it after a bit of it being open and off. If it is the compressor, is there a secondary issue or will I have to replace the compressor all together? Is there something I should test with my multimeter?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the compressor is running, then it should be cooling and you should have a even frost pattern on all the coils from top to bottom.

If the compressor is not running, like it may not have been with that loose connection you had, then you can check to see if you get 120 volts at the compressor start relay when it should be running.

Here's the compressor start relay for your model:

Also you can ohm test the compressor and compressor start relay:

R -Compressor Windings Test NEW.jpg
R-Start Device-new.jpg

Jake