• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Diagnose and Repair Ice Maker Whirlpool Gold Model GX5FHTXVY08 Refrigerator

wpollock

Premium Member
Model Number
GX5FHTXVY08
Brand
Whirlpool
I have previously had issues with both the interior water dispenser and ice maker not working on this unit and have replaced the ice maker once. Since replacing the ice maker roughly 6 years ago, both water dispenser and ice maker stopped working in the summer of 2020 and oddly enough, both did start working without any intervention other than removing the water filter and installing the bypass plug for a couple of days. Recently, both stopped working again so I have done the following so far:
Replaced the water filter. Regarding the water dispenser, I have verified that I have no water supply obstruction from the wall valve to the dispenser and I am able to dispense water with no issues. At the bottom rear of the refrigerator I tested continuity on both water valve coils (yellow and red) with readings of 268 for the yellow coil and 192 for the red coil with my digital multimeter set at 2000 ohms. I next tried testing the ice maker for a harvest cycle by using a jumper between the T and H contact points but it failed to cycle. I next tested the water inlet by jumping between the L and V contacts but no water entered the icemaker. I also tested and verified that there is correct voltage ( I read 118 volts ac using my digital multimeter). Given this is it reasonable to assume the ice maker itself is the issue and not the coil on the inlet water valve that controls water supply to the ice maker?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remove the front ice maker plastic cover, it just unsnaps off. Put your multimeter PROBES in L and N on the ice maker module you should get 120 volts.

Now on some models you have to push and hold the door switch in while testing for 120 volts and while forcing a cycle by jumping T and H.

You can force a cycle. You will see test holes with a Letter next to each hole.

(click to enlarge)
IMG-1815.JPG

Short T & H with an insulated piece of wire ( 14 gauge) with the ends of the wire bare approx 1/2" to run the motor, The wire needs to be about 3" long and the ends stripped to make contact in the holes.

Make sure to take the jumper wire out at about a 1/4 to 1/2 a revolution.

You can just make a jumper wire if you have some old wire laying around in your garage or house, then just cut some off, and take off the insulation on both ends about a half inch.

I use a wire stripping tool: Wire Stripper

If you get 120 volts and when you jump T and H the ice maker does NOT start to cycle, then your ice maker is bad.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
W10884390 Icemaker

Jake

wpollock

Premium Member
Verified water supply from house and installed new dual inlet valve and ice maker. Chilled water dispenser on inside of fridge works well. No ice output from ice maker. If it's possible there is an ice blockage between the inlet valve and ice maker how can I locate and remove it?
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes possibly you have a ice clog in the water fill tube that fills the ice maker with water. Remove that fill tube per the video below and see.

Here's the fill tube for your model:

Here's the video:

Let us know what you find.

Jake