• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Diagnosing a BASKET SPEED FAULT on a Whirlpool WTW5000DW0 Washer

horvathsjunk

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5000DW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Tech data sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13EInFAAf99HeIgo6JNhYxCuG3RSqZdZG/view

Hello all, I'm having a bit of trouble and could really use some help.

My washer made a high pitch whirring sound when trying to go into the spin cycle, failed to finish the spin, and drained itself. This washer has not been moved recently and up until today had been functioning for years. I ran through the fault code display mode, which returned two errors: F0E5 – OFF BALANCE LOAD DETECTED and F7E1 – BASKET SPEED FAULT. I cleared the errors and performed the HEAVY AGITATION test, the LOW SPIN test, and also verified the tachometer via the TACHOMETER VERIFICATION MODE. The heavy agitation test performed seemingly as expected, I could hear a continuous pattern until I stopped the test. The low spin test ran for a brief second before it stopped, this repeated until I stopped it. The tachometer test seemed successful, the LEDs lit up corresponding to the speed at which I turned the basket. I check the fault codes again after this and found another F7E1 – BASKET SPEED FAULT.

I have inspected the pulley and the belt. There is around a half an inch of tension on the belt, it does not seem worn, nor does it appears to be slipping. The basket turns freely, and I can rotate it via the pulley. I then removed the console and visually inspected the main control. Nothing seems to be fraying or disconnected. I did not go on to any of the other tests in TEST #3a: Drive System – Shifter which require a multimeter.

At this point I'm a bit stuck. Is there any thing based on the symptoms I should test to help diagnose the failing component, or do you suspect anything that should be replaced?

I really appreciate the help, and if it isn't obvious I'm new to appliance repair, but I really prefer to know how to fix my own equipment!

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, check your hub to make sure the teeth are NOT worn down, if so, then that's the problem, order the hub.:)

Here's the hub for your model, its located underneath the agitator :
W10528947 Hub

Look at these photos below of the teeth grinded down to smooth. Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• wgww.jpg
    wgww.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 168
  • wrhwn.jpg
    wrhwn.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 161

horvathsjunk

Premium Member
Yep! This is what mine looks like. Thanks so much. I wouldn't have even known to check it since it's not mentioned anywhere I can see in the tech sheet.

1597161688426.png

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, that's the problem.:)

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake