• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Diagnosing Jenn-Air SVD48600P range heating issue

PeterAv

Premium Member
Model Number
SVD48600P
Brand
Jenn-Air
Older model JennAir dual fuel SVD48600P 240V range. Bottom baking element will not heat, but top broiler element does. Removed element and tested continuity at 30 ohms. Plugged in the (working) broiler element into the bottom baking leads and still no heating. I tested voltage at baking element leads and get (strangely) 51V even when the oven is off (0V is circuit breaker is off fortunately!) If I then turn the oven on, I hear a relay click a few seconds later, but still same 51V. About a minute later there is a double click of relays and voltage jumps up to 62V. But 5 seconds later there is another double set of relay clicks and voltage drops back to 51V. Pattern or relay clicks/voltage swings between 51V and 62V then repeats every minute. Any suggestions on what to test next. I fear a bad relay board since they seem to be not available for this model anymore. But wondered if something else is going on since I do hear relay clicks occurring.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I hear a relay click a few seconds later, but still same 51V. About a minute later there is a double click of relays and voltage jumps up to 62V.

You may just be measuring a backfeed through the circuit. I wouldn't concern myself with it. You could disconnect the element from the circuit and then test each element lead to ground and look for 120 volts in each separately when turned on.

I fear a bad relay board since they seem to be not available for this model anymore.

Yes, I agree it is likely the relay board and yes it is discontinued. It is not in stock at any of my recommended dealers. There are however some new/old stock and used ones available at this link. Any of those part numbers should be interchangeable. Number 12001690A was the most recent part number for it.

LINK > Relay Board 12001690, 12001690A or original # 71002144

JMO

Dan O.

PeterAv

Premium Member
Thanks Dan! One lead has 120V to ground regardless if the oven is on or off. Other lead is 0V to ground with oven off and about 15V to ground with oven on. To me, that seems like indeed the power relay is malfunctioning. Still confusing to me why those voltages don't result in a heating element getting slightly warm with oven on (element seems to stay at room temp). Anyway, I'll get a new relay board from ebay. Thanks for the link! Much appreciated!

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.