• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Dim LED lights in dispenser on Maytag MFI2568AEW

gbthomas66

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2568AEW
Brand
Maytag
A couple months ago both LED lights in the ice/water dispenser started acting up. They are dim (or at least not completely bright). Is this a problem with the dispenser control board? I'm assuming since both lights are having an issue, it isn't simply a matter of a LED bulb replacement. After considerable searching I have found a replacement part but at $100 give or take, I want to be a little more comfortable that this is the source of the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

On the dispenser board connector J4 pins 1 and 2 that go to the 2 Cavity LED's put your meter on Volts DC and see if you get 12 volts, if not then your dispenser board is the problem.

Here's the dispenser control board for your model:
W10775847 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

gbthomas66

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply. Assuming I did it correctly, I was not getting a voltage reading on those two pins. But the fact that the lights sort of work should mean at least some reading, right? I checked a few other locations and got readings, so I know my voltmeter is working. I also tested batteries just to make sure. The J4 plug is hard to get the leads on. It's quite possible I wasn't making a good connection.

I also noticed that when the front panel says "Auto" the lights are on steady (but dim). When the panel says "On" they are on steady (but dim). When the panel is not on either of those, it acts like it is on "Auto" (lights come on dimly when getting water). Does that help in the diagnosis?

I appreciate your help on this.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Rick posted how to use safety pins to get into the connector properly to read the voltage:

safety pin 500x250.jpg

I also noticed that when the front panel says "Auto" the lights are on steady (but dim). When the panel says "On" they are on steady (but dim). When the panel is not on either of those, it acts like it is on "Auto" (lights come on dimly when getting water). Does that help in the diagnosis?
Nope, not really.

Make sure the door is closed when you take that volt reading.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gary, sounds good.

Jake

gbthomas66

Premium Member
Finally got the chance to get back on this. I’m getting a reading of about 0.5 volts when I check the two pins on J4. I guess that means it’s not the dispenser control board. What should I check next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That means it IS the dispenser board.

--->On the dispenser board connector J4 pins 1 and 2 that go to the 2 Cavity LED's put your meter on Volts DC and see if you get 12 volts, if not then your dispenser board is the problem.

Jake

gbthomas66

Premium Member
Okay...so I was something of an idiot. I was thinking the power went into the dispenser board through that connection. So I was actually testing the plug and not the pins. Doh! Today I tested the pins on the board and did not get a reading. So yes, it looks like the board is the problem. Hopefully I can find a replacement board again. When I looked last week, pretty much every on-line parts supplier said it was out of stock (no longer being manufactured). That's the biggest problem with appliances that have a brain :) . If you have a source, please pass it along.

Thanks,
Gary

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gary,

The dispenser board I posted in post #2 is in-stock. You didn't see that?

Jake

gbthomas66

Premium Member
I did see it after I posted my first reply. Didn’t realize it was a link at first. I blame the quarantine. It’s turned my mind to mush. 😂

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No worries Gary, we are all getting cabin fever with this quarantine going on, only 4 more days left hopefully!!!

Jake

gbthomas66

Premium Member
Part arrived today. Installed the new board. Didn't solve the problem. LED lights in dispenser still not working.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That has to be the problem, nothing else can cause this.

You will need to have Maytag come out and see what's going on.

Jake

gbthomas66

Premium Member
I'm not getting a voltage reading on the "new" board either on those two pins. Wondering if it is a "used/refurbished" part that didn't get perfectly checked out. Trying to avoid a service call for something so simple (and non-critical) as a couple of LEDs. I will contact the vendor that sold me the board to see if it can be returned.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I'd return it and get a full refund.:)

How much was it?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, can you send it back for an exchange or refund?

Jake