Status
Not open for further replies.

WVUGuy275

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAM
Brand
Whirlpool
A few days ago, several of the LED lights within our Whirlpool Gold Series refrigerator (Model WRF989SDAM02) stopped working properly. Upon opening the doors, a set of the lights work properly but the remainder are all dim. The dim ones are along the sides of both doors and to the upper right of the refrigerator (see pic).

20170820_133159.jpg

After reading through the forums, I did a visual inspection of the control boards contained behind the access panel on the back of the unit, but I frankly have little idea what I'm doing here. The boards look intact - I didn't see any evidence of a burnt out portion or whatnot.

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You will possibly need to order the LED power supply inverter, its located in the back of your refrigerator, you will have to pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then unplug it, then you will see a panel you will need to remove. Its the very bottom control board, its also called LED driver.

You can check for 14 volts DC at pins 1 and 2 while the door is open and the refrigerator plugged in.

1=TN/RD

2=OR/BK

Here's the LED power supply inverter for your model you can order if needed:
WPW10306786 Invrtr-Box

Jake

WVUGuy275

Premium Member
Thank you Jake! I've ordered the part. Will update here once I've received and installed it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

WVUGuy275

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Received the part today. Opened up the panel on the back of the refrigerator as instructed, but the bottom control board doesn't look like the part ordered from the instructions above.

Here's what I'm seeing in that panel:

20170901_174837.jpg

Thoughts?

Edit: the image is rotated on the forums. In the image as-shown, the "bottom" control board is on the right.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its the bottom one on the right.

Unplug the refrigerator and remove your old one and put the new one in.

Jake

WVUGuy275

Premium Member
Thank you Jake - I just replaced the board, as you instructed. After powering up the refrigerator, here's what I see:

- The upper left set of lights (that had remained working) still work
- The 2 side-flanking sets of lights (that had NOT worked), now work
- The upper right set of 3 lights (that had NOT worked), still do NOT work

20170902_132256.jpg

When I first opened the doors after powering the refrigerator back on, all lights except the upper right set of three came on, then I heard a "pop" and all lights went out. I closed and re-opened the doors and have not been able to reproduce this. The upper-left lights and side sets of lights are working.

Maybe related, maybe unrelated - the freezer lights haven't worked for some time now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We made some progress.:)

Ok for the three upper right side LED lights, you may have a loose connection up inside that TOP RIGHT SIDE UPPER panel.

Read pages 5-5 and 5-6 here: Job Aid - W10444924 (R-114).pdf - Google Drive to access to those LED electrical connectors.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi WVUGuy,

Did you ever get this resolved? Another person came yesterday to say their's was doing the same thing.

If you can update us, we would really appreciate it.:)

Jake

Nutavius

Hello Jake, i have come across this thread as i have the same exact issue. Replaced the board and now only the top right lights do not work. I have taken off the cover and checked the wiring and connections. Everything seems to be in order. Also the Freezer light still not working.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Nutavius,

Unfortunately WVUGuy never came back to update us. And I haven't run across this problem before on my service calls.

So the only thing you can do is Read that Job Aid I posted in post#8. That is the service manual for this model.

Jake

Zernaplr

Premium Member
Led lights

Hello Jake, i have come across this thread as i have the same exact issue. Replaced the board and now only the top right lights do not work. I have taken off the cover and checked the wiring and connections. Everything seems to be in order. Also the Freezer light still not working.
3 led lights not working for me as well on the top. The link to the service manual no longer available.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I fixed the link for you.

Jake

Zernaplr

Premium Member
led lights

upon further review I am getting 8.4 volts AC at the connector for the 3 led lights. Does anyone know if that is the correct voltage?

scooter208

Premium Member
I have a Kenmore 596.72383411 which seems to translate to a Whirlpool WRX986SIHZ and the 3 LEDs on the right side ceiling of my refrigerator are out. I recently disassembled both right and left sides to replace the ice maker. New ice maker is working fine. LEDs on the right side are still out. I have not measure to to see if there is any voltage on the connector, but I'm also interested in what the voltage is supposed to be. Earlier in this this thread there was mention of 14 Volts DC. Zernaplr is measuring 8.4 Volts AC. It would be be easy enough for me to test whether the 3 LED assembly is working just by connecting it to a bench power supply. I've just not been able to find any information about what voltage is needed to drive the 3 LED assembly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The LED power supply board/driver in the machine compartment by the compressor supplies 14 Volts DC to each individual LED module. Unplug the machine and remove the LED modules that are not working. Restore power and check for 14 volts DC at the module connector. Meter indicates 14 volts DC = replace the module. Any other reading = replace the LED power supply.

Here's the 3 refrigerator ceiling modules that are in series for your model: W11203918 Module Its comes with the 3 modules and the wire connector.

Now the lights in the fridge are in series after the freezer LED module W11130208. So a bad freezer LED module can make the refrigerator lights to be dim or dead.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.