Discolored clothing after washing

Alaskan Ambler

Premium Member
We occasionally end up with clothing or towels that have random discolored markings on them. Even when we have not used bleach, the clothes or towels have what look like bleach smears on them. The problem occurs regardless of water temperature and regardless of detergent brand used. On the rare occasions we use bleach, we add it directly to the tub rather than the dispenser.

Today we ran a load of clothing through the washer that had brand new clothing in the load. The clothes had never been worn, so there were no issues with direct exposure to facial creams, makeup, etc. The water temperature was cold. One shirt--in the green family--ended up with the bleach like markings on it. The rest seemed to come out fine.

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Fabric Softener will cause those markings too, do you use Fabric Softener?

Jake

Alaskan Ambler

Premium Member
Discolored clothing

Thanks for your speedy reply, Jake. We do often use fabric softener, but did not use it on this past load--the latest one in which we've had the problem with the staining.

I wonder if we need to run a vinegar solution through in an effort to clean out the tub and the rest of the machine?

If I need to remove the agitator to clean out that part and the fabric softener dispenser that's attached, can you give me the quick and dirty (no pun intended) on how to do that?

Kenmore Elite model number: 110.15952401
Purchased new in December of 2004

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On page 5 here it explains how to remove the fabric softener dispenser:
http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0401315.pdf
Then after you remove it, you should see a bolt inside the top of the agitator, just remove the bolt, I believe its 1/2", you can use a ratchet with a 1/2" socket, then the agitator just pulls up.

Washer Magic is a good cleaner for all washers.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake