• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

dishwasher does not wash dishes

yarboles

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB6600AWB
Brand
Maytag
the dishwasher goes through the full cycle: receiving water, heating the water, and draining the water. however, the dishes do not get clean because it appears that the spray arms do not deliver the water (i have left cups right side up to see if water gets sprayed, and they are empty at the end of the cycle).

I have cleaned all of the components in the tub (spray arms, channels, removed pump cover and cleaned all junk out, etc.). I have also tested the water inlet valve & floater switch and electronically, they check out. I have also performed an ohmage resistance test on the motor and it also falls within the correct range. the spray arms move freely when you manually spin them and the control buttons on the door are functional and will light up and respond when you press them.

any ideas? this is a maytag quiet series 200 dishwasher. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the dishwasher goes through the full cycle: receiving water, heating the water, and draining the water.
Ok, after it fills with water do you hear the wash motor running? Or any sound at all? You didn't mention that in your 1st post. The drain motor is separate from the wash motor on this model.

Jake

yarboles

Premium Member
I pulled the wash motor out and then hooked it up while it was outside of the washer. i started a wash cycle and the wash motor is indeed spinning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, but that's not going to help me tell you the problem, you have to leave the wash motor inside the dishwasher and tell me if its running or not.

Did you do a direct test on it when you took it out? without it being in the dishwashers normal circuit?

Jake

yarboles

Premium Member
When I took the motor out, i hooked it up to the dishwasher's wire harness to test it during a regular wash cycle and it spun the motor. this was the only test; i did not do a direct test.

After reading your reply, i reinstalled the motor and started another cycle. This time, it sounds like the motor is running and i feel some vibration on the motor, but when i open the door in the middle of the cycle, i can see that the sprayer arms are not spinning (although yo can freely move the arm manually).

By the way, thank you very much for your help.

Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Brian,

Run the field service test that's located here in your tech. data sheet: http://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16026393.pdf

After it fills with water open the door and see how high your water level is in the tub, The water level should come up to just under the heating element in the tub.
If your water level is fine, then check your wash impeller, its #6 in the diagram below, to make sure the plastic isn't chewed up either.

Here's the wash impeller for your model you can order here if needed:
Manufacturer part number 99002659 is RepairClinic item number 1011977

Here's the diagram of your pump and motor assembly:
M0512368-00006.jpg

If your wash impeller is fine, then check your filter #7 above, white gooey gunk and dried mineral deposits can clog it up and prevent your spray arm from spraying the water out fully.

Here's the filter assembly for your model you can order here if needed:
Manufacturer Number W10192799

Jake

yarboles

Premium Member
Jake,

I've done the following:
1. performed field test, no fault was found.
2. water level is correct
3. wash impeller is in good order
4. filter assembly had some build-up. i scrubbed it clean a few days ago when i first started trouble shooting. it's about 95% clean.
5. the chopping blade sits on a plastic bushing which is then mounted on the motor axis (see parts in the diagram listed under #9. the plastic bushing i'm talking about is right below the blade #8). this plastic bushing seems to be stripped a little bit to the point where it can be pressed onto the axis with a decent amount of friction. however, if you hold the motor plate, you can spin the chopper blade with a bit of force without moving the motor axis. should you be able to thread this bushing instead of pressing it on? is this normal or could this be the source of my problems?

thanks, Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

yarboles

Premium Member
Fantastic! Kit has been ordered. I will install it and let you know if it solves the problem. Thank you very much for your help.

Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Brian, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake