• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Dishwasher fills and drains but doesn't wash

billy_pilgrim

Premium Member
Model Number
FDB1502RGC0
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi, there!

I'm starting to hate my wonky dishwasher. The unit is about three years old, and last year it used to start up without us hitting the start button. We thought it might be our cats jumping up and down from the counter, but it has happened without them being in the room. That stopped about six months ago, but now the dishwasher will fill when the cycle is selected and start is pushed. The unit fills (below the heating coil, is that normal?), then sits and does nothing. It will drain if you hit the start/cancel button, though. Could this be an inlet valve issue?

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I should also mention that underneath the screen (below the arm and filter), there always seems to be some water. Is that normal, or is something clogged?

Thanks so much!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the water level will be a little below the heating element.

No, not a water inlet valve issue. Its more likely a control panel or control board issue.

Yes, some water will be below the arm and filter, thats normal.

You will likely need Frigidaire to come out to see whats going on, hate to have you start replacing parts without testing them.

Jake

leighdavis

Premium Member
Jake,

I have a question similar to Billy's, except the only problem I am having with my dishwasher is that it fills but will not wash and when I cancel the wash cycle it will drain. It too is about 3 years old and no problems until one day went to get what I expected to be clean dishes and they weren't. My dishwasher is a Fridgidaire Model# FGBD2431KB0. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Leigh

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you hear any sound at all when it trys to wash?

Jake

leighdavis

Premium Member
Jake,

I let it run all the way thru a cycle even though I knew it wasn't going to clean and I did hear what sounded like the normal noises and half expected to open the dishwasher and see the few dishes I had put in were clean but they weren't.

Leigh

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You may have something like a seed or bone in the motor impeller area that may be jamming up the motor from turning.

This video should help, you don't have to remove the motor, just take it apart down to the motor and check for foreign objects:

<EMBED height=340 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/0yrd7r1kVM4?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Jake <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->