dishwasher not filling with water

monchuk

Premium Member
imported post

Hi, I've been having a run of bad house problems...too much money going this way and that. Hopeully someone can help with this dishwasher issue. We put in a new floor so moved the dishwasher out from the wall. We didn't disconnect anything, but when we put it back in place the thing won't fill with water. It hums and sounds like it's working but no water comes in. I touched the ring at the bottom and it was smoking hot. I also tried putting water in the bottom and it will drain just fine. Any thoughts on how I can try fix it before calling someone to repair it? :shock:

It;s a Maytag dishwasher, model # MDB6100AWW

THanks-monica

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

monchuk wrote:
... moved the dishwasher out from the wall. We didn't disconnect anything, but when we put it back in place the thing won't fill with water. It hums and sounds like it's working but no water comes in.
Sounds like either someone may have turned the water supply off but not back on again or maybe kinked the water supply line during the movement.

Either that or there may be a problem with the dishwasher's fill valve (see the following link) although if it is the thing responsible the humming, it is not likely the problem IMO.

LINK > How do I test a water fill valve?

LINK > Maytag MDB6100A Fill Valve

I touched the ring at the bottom and it was smoking hot.
I assume you mean the heater element? Don't do that... you'll burn yourself :shock:

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

monchuk

Premium Member
imported post

I did burn myself...ouch. Won't be doing that again.

Anyhow, is the fill valve the part in the middle of the x shaped arms that spray the water?It looked from the pictures on the links you sentlike this anyhow.Does it need to be taken apart to test?

I've double checked the water and it's all on...so i guess it could be the fill valve. I'll look at it closer tonight...

THANKS--monica

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

monchuk wrote:
is the fill valve the part in the middle of the x shaped arms that spray the water?
The fill valve is under the dishwasher in the motor compartment. It's the thing the water line attaches to on the dishwasher.

Example:

Click for larger view

It should look look like these (depending on the angle it is being viewed from):

I don't think there should be anything else on the dishwasher which look anything close to it.

Does it need to be taken apart to test?
The valve does not need to be taken apart to be tested but it may need to be disconnected.

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~