Dishwasher not Heating - Element not working - WDF510PAYS - Whirlpool Dishwasher

maraude716

Model Number
WDF510PAYS
Brand
Whirlpool
A plastic lid fell onto the element during a wash and melted itself to the element. This also nearly burned through the element. I have since replaced the element but the dishwasher does not heat the water or dry the dishes. I think the element is still not working.

I get around 20 Ohms when testing the element. I get 1 Ohm when testing the thermostat that lies against the tub.

What else could i be missing? I only unplugged, replaced, plugged in the new element. Dishwasher still cycles through a wash, but doesn't heat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, only thing I can think of is it might of damaged the control board, but that would odd if it did since it was only plastic.

Your heating element ohm tests fine and so does the thermostat, but that should read 0 ohms(continuity).

This is a newer Whirlpool model that I haven't worked on as of yet, so you may want to have Whirlpool come out to see what's going on.

You should have a tech. data sheet behind the bottom access panel, it has troubleshooting section and a diagnostics cycle you can run it through.

Here's the control board for your model you can order if needed:
Main Control Board W10473195 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

BobSteele

Premium Member
I have a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II W10142800B with similar issues. The coil tests at 11ohms, the thermistat is continuous (and I pulled it and tested it to switch on heat), there is 110VAC from the control board, but it doesn't heat up. When everything is wired correctly, there is only 85VAC after the thermistat. I'm pulling my hair out. Please advise.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Bob,

W10142800B is not a model number, It will start with 2 or 3 letters first, like this: WDF510PAYS

Open the dishwasher door and look inside, the model number tag is located on the inside of the tub.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Bob,

If the heating element and hi-limit thermostat ohm tests good, then the problem is in the control board.

Let's make sure you ohm tested the hi-limit thermostat properly first--->The hi-limit thermostat Part# WP661566 is about the size of a dime, held to the bottom of the tub with a metal bracket. You'll see it, it has two wires on it. Here's how to check it. Take the two wires off, then get your ohm meter and ohm it for continuity, it should read 0 ohms.

TURN THE BREAKER OFF TO THE DISHWASHER FIRST BEFORE ACCESSING AND OHM TESTING IT!

The outer door panel comes off for better access.

Page#17 here tells you how: Dropbox - 8178022 KD-12 Whirlpool Point Voyager Dishwasher.pdf
Fig. 3-7

Number 30 is the high-limit thermostat - Part# WP661566

Here's the control board for your model you can order here if needed($60 CASH BACK OFFER):
Main Control Board WPW10084142

Let us know how it goes.

Jake