• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Dishwasher stops mid-cycle and no power to control panel

abearclaw

Model Number
W10632078A
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi, my Whirlpool dishwasher starts up fine. It begins a normal wash cycle but at some point during the cycle, the dishwasher stops running and the control panel becomes unresponsive. I say at some point because the timing is sporadic. Sometimes it happens within 2 minutes, sometimes it happens 20 minutes into the cycle. This has been happening for about a week. Last night I discovered that if I push the door on the right side I can get the power to come back to the control panel and restart the dishwasher. If I don't push on the door power will come back at some point. I was able to get the cycle to complete by sitting with my foot pressed against the bottom right corner of the door. (Apparently I was super desperate to figure out what was going on!) This makes me wonder if there is a short in the wire between the control panel and the power outlet? Am I on the right track? If so, how can I test that?

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
That's not a correct model number. Check the sticker inside the dishwasher for the correct model number.
I first thought of a door switch problem but that would not cause the panel to become unresponsive.
It sure sounds like something is going on with the wire harness at the bottom of the door. I would remove the kick plate under the door and wiggle the wires that run up into the bottom of the door. If you get the power to go off and on as you wiggle the wires you know you have a bad wire . You will have to then remove the outer door panel to get complete access to the wire.
Other sources for a complete loss of power are
1. Bad connections inside the junction box under the dishwasher (behind the bottom kickplate on the right side )
2.Problems with the main control board. You have to gain access to the board and see if you can duplicate the problem by tapping on the board or wiggling the wires that attach to the board.