• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Dishwasher won't fill

jlietzow

Premium Member
Model Number
SHE45M06UC/50
Brand
Bosch
I have a perplexing problem that has me completely stumped. My dishwasher stopped filling with water recently. I confirmed that I have water getting to the dishwasher via the supply line (i.e., to the inlet valve). I also tested the float switch and confirmed that it is working with a multi-meter. I then checked to confirm that 120V was getting to the water inlet valve solenoid when the cycle started (it did). This led me to believe that the water inlet valve was malfunctioning and so I ordered a replacement.

The water inlet valve arrived today and I eagerly installed it, hoping that my dishwasher would roar back to its former use life. Unfortunately the problem persists....

I can't think of any other potential source of this problem. Any ideas?

P.S., One potentially noteworthy event - my son mistakenly put dishwashing liquid (Dawn) in the dishwasher and ran it when he was trying to be helpful. Suds everywhere! We ran the dishwasher again without soap to try to clean up the mess and it seemed to operate properly. The problem started the next time we tried to run it.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I then checked to confirm that 120V was getting to the water inlet valve solenoid when the cycle started (it did).

Across the two wires? If yes, remove them and try on a test lamp to see if you are really getting 120 volts or a fake/ghost voltage.

jeff.

jlietzow

Premium Member
Interesting question Jeff. In fact I was unable to confirm current across the wires initially, but I presumed that it was because I couldn't get good contact with the leads due the design of the connector (the probes on my tester are pretty thick). So I remembered the non-contact AC voltage detector that came bundled with my multi-meter and tried it. The spec on it says that it detects voltage from 100 to 1000 volts AC. It lights up consistently when I place it near those wires connecting to the water inlet valve. Is it possible that this is phantom voltage or a faulty reading of some sort?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It lights up consistently when I place it near those wires connecting to the water inlet valve. Is it possible that this is phantom voltage or a faulty reading of some sort?

Acual "power" is a line and neutral ( in your case )...the light only looks for line but we can loose the neutral have line but no "power"!

jeff.