DIY fridge servicing / maintenance 1950s

vap0rtranz

Premium Member
Model Number
AA-84
What does it take to DIY service a 1950's fridge?

I have a Westinghouse Model AA-84. See pic.

Its my daily fridge, keeps temp, no issues; but of course anything this old needs servicing.

What worries me is the compressor and refrigerant, and I've no skill with compressors. I DIY service my vintage ranges, old vacuums, old tractors, etc.

What kind of servicing does a compressor of this age need? And would any HVAC tech or plumber have the skills & tools to check / replace the refrigerant?

Again, no issues with the fridge now but it probably need preventative maintenance.

Thx,
Jp

vap0rtranz

Premium Member
Pic of fridge.

Attachments

• IMG_20220531_065456547.jpg
    IMG_20220531_065456547.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 31

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
vap0rtranz said:
What does it take to DIY service a 1950's fridge?

Fix it when it's broken, leave it when it isn't. 🎯

vap0rtranz said:
What kind of servicing does a compressor of this age need?

None. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Replace any fraying wires. Again, the less you get into it the better.

vap0rtranz said:
And would any HVAC tech or plumber have the skills & tools to check / replace the refrigerant?

1. There is no need to replace the refrigerant in anything. It doesn't wear out. If it leaks out, repair the leak, change the filter drier, vacuum the system then recharge it. Unfortunately the refrigerant used is likely not available any longer so you'd need to jury-rig some type of replacement refrigerant or change the compressor and refrigerant to something more modern. Basically if refrigeration work is required, the appliance is scrap.

2. No plumber could do anything with the refrigeration system besides ruin it. An HVAC tech might have most of the tools necessary except for a vacuum pump which is usually recommended for household refrigeration systems. They're not usually used for HVAC or automotive a/c systems.

Dan O.

vap0rtranz

Premium Member
So, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" applies here. :)

Replace any fraying wires.

Yea that's on my list for next manual thaw (because unit has no defrost). The interior light doesn't always come on so there may be bad wires or bad contacts somewhere.

I did replace the door gasketing already.

Basically if refrigeration work is required, the appliance is scrap.

Got it. I'll look for leaks and hope none happen.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.