• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DLE2250W LG Dryer will not power up. Only interior lights work.

bklounger

Premium Member
Model Number
DLE2250W
Brand
LG
Hi, I just joined this forum in Feb 2020 as I troubleshoot my seven-year-old LG DLE2250W which died recently. If I don't see much activity on this 3-year-old thread I will start a new post but thank you in advance anyone who sees this and can assist!

The dryer will not turn on at all now although the interior light works. But for ~two months it was starting to shut off mid-cycle and appear to be dead. Then eventually - perhaps 20,30 minutes - we could turn it back on and finish the cycle. No smells, no clicking sounds, and no error messages. Then a few weeks back we stopped it while running to take a few things out and then close the door to keep it going. But it did not turn back on and never has since! Door light still turns on.

I am a stubborn DIY'er with a few past victories in our house so I hope we can revive this one and get a few more years. After a lot of research, taking it all apart, RepairClinic.com video replays and replacing the thermal fuse, I am not sure what to do next. Here's what I have tried:
1. The so-called "Smart Diagnosis" - I installed LG's latest (Jan 2020) ThinQ app on my phone before the dryer died completely, but was shutting down prematurely, I was able to push the right button combination on the dryer to have it play its modem-like sounds. Nothing was diagnosed.
2. Took it apart all the way to removing the drum. Bought a new multimeter and confirmed continuity for:
- Thermal fuse
- Door switch
- Moisture sensor bars in door
- Belt switch
- High-limit thermostat
- The thermostat in the blower housing
- Both heating elements
- Thermistor
- I was able to test continuity i the motor when I'd manually slide the centrifugal switch back and forth. Cannot articulate perfectly what I did and did not test, but that function at least was performing per my continuity testing.
- 240 outlet - confirmed 120v at both plugs at the outlet. Flipped the breaker a few times anyway (over the past few weeks of working on this)
- Inspected main control board, don't see anything obvious.

I tried but could not follow the guidance in terms of testing the control board on this thread:

But with my non-contact Klein voltage tester, there is absolutely power coming to the board, and making it to some parts of the dryer but NOT the front control panel. With everything reassembled but the top panel of the dryer still removed, I can toggle the door switch and confirm power is turning on/off.

I am assuming I likely have a bad control board but not doubt a trained technician would know more things to test perhaps? The gradual decline, ending in it not starting for weeks, I assume is a significant clue....

We have never cleaned the exhaust route which of course we should and will. I have cleaned everything I could during all this testing.

Thank you in advance for seeing this and if you have ideas, chiming in!

bklounger

Premium Member
Thank you to whomever fixed my newbie error where I initially piggy-backed this onto a three-year old post about someone else's possibly similar issue. I logged in tonight to re-post as a new thread but it has already been moved! Thanks again and apologies for the trouble.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Did you already fix your LG Dryer?

If not, Your not getting any power to the main control board at all?

You will need to check between the two 120 volt legs on your dryer terminal block where the power cord connects to it. You will need a normal multimeter to do that. You should have 240 volts when you put your meter leads on each of the 120 volt legs at the same time.

Here's the main control board for your model:

Jake

Last edited:

bklounger

Premium Member
Thank you, have not fixed it yet! I just checked and got ~245V at the terminal block using a proper multimeter. I should have mentioned I'd confirmed continuity in the power cord itself and tested the outlet. So I think my house panel, plug, power supply and terminal block are all good.

Not assuming a photo like this will be too revealing but maybe helpful? I realize there are a gajillion different control boards for different models.

As mentioned I am using the non-contact voltage tester on every wire to the control board to see what beeps. Only the ones marked in the photo below produced any response. It looks like the blue and black wires on the right (which I presume are the power feeds) are live. I am not using the multimeter on the control board because I don't know what to test, and don't know what readings I should get.

But I did not get any sort of response on any of the wires going to the front control panel (not shown). However I did take that apart before and used the multimeter to confirm the main power button itself is OK, using a continuity check and clicking it On/Off and seeing the multimeter respond. I could test that because it's possible to take the Control Panel apart, unlike the main board which is covered in that clear "goop stuff"! Obviously not intended to be serviceable at all.

LG DLE2250W control board w comments.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I see. Yes, I use a regular multimeter to see the exact voltage I get when I'm out at a customers house.

And that thread Rick helped on is all the information I could locate as well.

That control board shows to be out-of-stock everywhere for your model.

Jake

bklounger

Premium Member
Turns out, we have a location of reliableparts.com who had one control board in stock. So I didn't have to wait a month on backorder and drove down to buy it. Changed it out and my dryer is back in business! It can still pay to look around locally if you live in a big urban area like I do.

Thanks for the help and I'll recommend this board to others in the future if they have appliance issues, it's a good resource.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new control board fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Yes, its always good to check locally when its out-of-stock everywhere on-line.:)

Jake