• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DLE2516W LG Dryer starts/stops intermittently

not2leight

Premium Member
Model Number
DLE2516W
Brand
LG
Aloha-
My LG dryer starts/stops intermittently. It works fine (runs and heats) for the first load, but starts/stops intermittently on the subsequent load.
I have changed the moisture sensors and thought that the problem may be the thermistor.
I have seen other posts concluding that it is the motor that is drawing excessive amperage for unknown reasons and upon replacement, works fine (LG DLEX5101W and DLE1310 models).

Wondering if this could be the culprit for my model (LG DLE2516W) as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Mahalo!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It's most likely the motor that's bad. Are you able to start it again immediately when it stops? Is the motor extremely hot to the touch when it stops?

Here's the motor for your model:
4681EL1008A Drive Motor Assembly

Video Included in part link.

Jake

not2leight

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! Once the motor stops, I cannot start it with the control buttons, but after a few minutes it will start up again for a couple of minutes and then cut off. I haven't felt the motor temperature. Could the "thermistor" have anything to do with it? Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, it starts up again by itself?

If that's the case then the problem is possibly the motor relay on the main control board, but the main control board is No Longer Available: EBR33640901

Jake

not2leight

Premium Member
Again, thank you so much Jake! I'll try to see if I can get an electronics guy to replace the relay on the main control board. Will let you know how it goes.
Appreciate your time and for sharing your knowledge. -Leight

scbillings

Premium Member
Not sure if not2leight's problem ever got solved. I have the same issue, the dryer stops and after a few minutes starts up again, and then stops again.
Does this on any cycle.
Other blogs suggest it is the motor, but Jake (above) said a relay on the control board.
Any thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Damn I must be getting old and forgetful, the problem is the motor.

Look here:

Drive Motor 4681EL1008A

Here's the video to replace it:

Order the motor and replace it and you'll be back in business.

Jake

not2leight

Premium Member
Thanks Jake et al for all the help! I will give the motor replacement a try. Wondering, if the motor does not solve the problem and I send it back, who is responsible for the shipping cost? Take care!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You pay shipping costs back, but get a full refund.:)

In fact I'm so confident the new motor fixes it, I will pay for shipping costs back if it doesn't fix it.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
(y) Sounds good.

Jake

not2leight

Premium Member
Aloha Jake- I was thinking since I'll be changing the motor, it would probably be a good idea to change the belt and the support rollers. Would you recommend replacing the roller axles as well? They're about $30 apiece. How long do they normally last? My LG dryer is about 8 years old. Your advice is always appreciated!

not2leight

Premium Member
Hi Jake- I have a encountered a bit an issue. I know this isn't your area, but I purchased the above motor and on the next day the price was $20 less. I asked for a price adjustment and was refused. I guess they will not match their own prices. Anyway, it just doesn't seem fair to your loyal customers. I will still go ahead and order the rollers and pulley.

scbillings

Premium Member
NTL:
I think it is fairly standard that sale prices (or price reductions) are not retroactive, so try not to be upset at the vendor for this. Also, I think you will be so ecstatic when you replace the motor and restore your dryer to working condition, that $20 will fade from your memory. Good luck with the changeout, I'm doing mine tomorrow!
Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Would you recommend replacing the roller axles as well? They're about $30 apiece. How long do they normally last? My LG dryer is about 8 years old.
Yes, I would recommend that, 8 years is the perfect time to replace them.

Yes, like Scott mentioned about the pricing, I have no control over that. Your still saving a boatload of money by doing it yourself, a repair company would easily charge you well over $300 to repair your machine.

Let us know how it goes for you both.

not2leight: I just noticed you started this thread in January? You've been without a dryer since then?

Jake