• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DLE7177WM LG dryer blowing fuses. Not an airflow problem.

Kilbey

Model Number
DLE7177WM
Brand
LG
Hello all-
I have an LG dryer that has been blowing incoming thermal fuses. It currently is not even connect to a vent hose, yet still overheats.

The thermistor tests 11k ohms at 70 deg.

Temp coming from rear is 164, consistently. Tested within the drum however, it reads 184 before the relay clicks off.

I thought this must indicate an obvious seal problem, but found nothing major. The straight exhaust pipe was not particularly snug so I tightened the outside bracket on it. The felt drum seals look good and complete.

There is a seal partially missing where the metal funnel/hood (that leads to blower fan) connects to the plastic lint filter housing. I suppose this may be the culprit...

Has anyone experienced this before? With the huge difference between drum temp and exhaust temp, it seems it HAS to be a pressure leak, but I thought I’d run it by you all.

Thanks in advance—

Kilbey

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kilbey,

You will need a thermometer to take its temperature.:)

This Multimeter reads temperature, it comes with a probe you put in the dryer door. Just open the dryer door and insert the probe, then close the door and run the dryer and watch the meter. Don't put the probe to far in or it will be hitting the drum as it turns.

With the dryer on high heat, the temperature inside the dryer should be between 120*F to 190*F. When you first start the dryer from a cold start it should get up to about 190*F, then the cycling thermostat tells the heating element to turn OFF, and the temperature should drop to about 120*F. Then keep repeating that cycling process.

There is a seal partially missing where the metal funnel/hood (that leads to blower fan) connects to the plastic lint filter housing. I suppose this may be the culprit...
If your dryer temperatures are in normal range, then yes that is likely the culprit.

Here's the parts diagram for your model: LG Dryer DLE7177WM Repair Parts

Jake