• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DLEX5101W LG dryer motor stops intermittently

mschaef114

Premium Member
Model Number
DLEX5101W
Brand
LG
My LG front load electric dryer has developed an intermittent motor stoppage. The dryer will start on any cycle and run for approximately 5 seconds before the drum stops turning. The display still indicates that the unit is in cycle and the timer counts down. After a few seconds to 1-2 minutes, the unit will start up without touching it. Switching to another cycle does not change anything. It will still occasionally complete a full cycle without stopping and while working, seems to heat just fine. I've seen some postings suggesting that lint is in the motor and that the motor needs replaced. Any suggestions. Thanks

Complete Newbie trying to save some $$$

mschaef114

Premium Member
Just my luck that I get the phantom electrical problem. Don't know if this helps but the initial shutoff is pretty predictable, within the first 5 seconds. After that it becomes sporadic. Usually if it doesn't shutoff within that 5 seconds, it will complete the cycle. However, once it shuts off for the first time, it will repeatedly shutoff when a new cycle is started within that same 5 second time period. I took the top off and did not find any obvious loose connections. I tried the LG diagnostics with my phone but it simply says that the cycle was interrupted, because the control board is still operating properly (or at least counting down as if it is). When it does shut off, you can hear clicking noises as well. Thanks for any help

gnc13

Premium Member
My LG DLE1310W dryer is doing about the same thing. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes when I start the dryer it will run for a short time and then the motor will stop. After a couple of minutes, the dryer will start back up on its own and will shut off again. When this problem occurs, I press the "start" button and I hear a clicking noise inside the relay area and nothing happens. If I wait for awhile, I will eventually hear a clicking sound somewhere in the bottom of the dryer and then I can press the start button and the motor will turn. Makes me think that a sensor is keeping the relay from starting the motor but I don't know which one. Can someone recommend which sensor might be bad? Thanks.

mschaef114

Premium Member
My LG DLE1310W dryer is doing about the same thing. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes when I start the dryer it will run for a short time and then the motor will stop. After a couple of minutes, the dryer will start back up on its own and will shut off again. When this problem occurs, I press the "start" button and I hear a clicking noise inside the relay area and nothing happens. If I wait for awhile, I will eventually hear a clicking sound somewhere in the bottom of the dryer and then I can press the start button and the motor will turn. Makes me think that a sensor is keeping the relay from starting the motor but I don't know which one. Can someone recommend which sensor might be bad? Thanks.

After successfully testing the main board, I was unable to go any further in diagnostics and called a service repairman. He tested the motor and found that it was drawing 30amps for an unknown reason. He said that there is an internal, overload switch that caused the motor to shutoff. After a period of time, that switch/breaker resets and the motor will start again, until tripping due to the overload. I replaced the motor and it works flawlessly. He could not explain why the motor was drawing so much amperage. If you know how to test the amperage, I would start there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update.:)

For others with this same issue, I'm posting the motor for this model and the video to replace it.

Drive Motor 4681EL1008A

Here's the video to replace it:

Jake

gnc13

Premium Member
mschaef114 - Thanks for posting your repair results because I am probably having the same issue. This would explain why my dryer would sometimes start back up on its own after the motor cools down and the overload switch resets. Have a great Thanksgiving!

starman345

Premium Member
I am having the exact same problem as mschaef114 was having with his LG DLEX5101W model, however my dryer is the LG DLE1310W model. I wonder if this is a common problem with multiple model LG brand dryers? I don't really want to buy-install a new motor if his solution doesn't apply to my model. User gnc13 in this thread says he has the same issue with his LG DLE1310W(same as mine), but doesn't follow up as to whether the new motor fixed his problem. What do you guys think, should I take a chance and order a new motor? Thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

should I take a chance and order a new motor?
Sure!

Drive-Motor-4681EL1008A--00711312.jpg LINK> Motor, dryer

If it doesn't work it can go back...
Return Policy
365 Days. Period.® You may return any part or product for any reason within 365 days of placing your order.

jeff.

starman345

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff,
I really wanted to zero in on whether a motor replacement would fix my problem. My dryer has identical symptoms as the original poster in this thread but we have different LG models so I'm not sure the same cure applies. Anyway, thanks for your reply. BTW, it seems that motor can't be shipped to Canada, I'll have to find another source.

Untitled.png

gnc13

Premium Member
Hello Starman345- My problem was fixed with a new motor. Best regards.

iFixitDavid

Same problem different model!

I am having the exact same problem as mschaef114 was having with his LG DLEX5101W model, however my dryer is the LG DLE1310W model. I wonder if this is a common problem with multiple model LG brand dryers? I don't really want to buy-install a new motor if his solution doesn't apply to my model. User gnc13 in this thread says he has the same issue with his LG DLE1310W(same as mine), but doesn't follow up as to whether the new motor fixed his problem. What do you guys think, should I take a chance and order a new motor? Thanks
Just wanted to keep this thread alive, I ordered the new motor and it fixed mine too!
Thanks to those who sought out the solution.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good David.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

scbillings

Premium Member
I've got the same problem, model DLE3777W electric dryer. Mine makes some unusual noise when it runs. I can't describe it, my renter is giving me a report remotely! I'm thinking this could still be the motor. Worst case (no, I guess it could be even worse!), I get the motor, drive out there and it doesn't fix the problem. I don't want to go there empty handed however, the motor seems like the best bet for a fix...