• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DLGX7601WE LG Dryer Will Not Heat

Mentalcase

Premium Member
Model Number
DLGX7601WE
Brand
LG
It randomly occurred the other day and hasn't heated since. Dryer did display a 9AS (GAS) code when it originally happened. When I opened it up and ran on timed dry, the igniter did not even glow. Things I've checked so far:

Gas Valve Solenoids - Resistance was around 1900 ohms
High Limit Thermostat, Thermostat, Igniter, Flame Sensor - All had continuity

I thought it would be the flame sensor in the end, but when I checked it was OK. Any thoughts as to what else it should be or should I just call in pro now. I was trying to DIY this one as the machine is only 18 months year old, but It is what it is and we need dry clothes LOL.

So, again, Any additional advise? Perhaps I wasn't using my multimeter properly.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Mentalcase

Premium Member
This is what it read on valve 1. I wasn't able to prove valve 2. But interestingly enough the ignitor lit and then the flame came but turned off after about 15 seconds. Still seems like it's a bad valve right?

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Nope, I don't think there's anything wrong. (FYI: Your meter is set to measure DC volts. Set it on AC volts instead. There's no DC voltage at the valve.) Reconnect the connector. Reassemble the machine. You can't check the heat system in a gas or electric dryer unless the machine is assembled because it needs the airflow to operate correctly. Without airflow all you can check is if the flame turns on and yours does. When the machine is assembled and turned on the blower motor pulls the air in through the open end of the flame housing which mixes with the heat from the flame and pulls it through the rear duct into the drum, through the lint filter and lint filter housing, and into the blower and blower housing. The blower then pushes it out the exhaust vent tube and vent hose. When the front panel and/or drum is is off/out there is no airflow entering the open end of the flame housing and all the heat from the flame piles up on the thermostats that are mounted to the flame housing. Reassemble your dryer and retest it.

Mentalcase

Premium Member
I reassembled everything and it all worked. I could hear the burner click on and the dryer began to heat again. I put in a piece of wet clothing and left it for 30 minutes. When I returned, the clothing was still wet and more importantly cold. When I listened this time I did not hear the burner click on at all.

I think the High limit thermostat on this is resettable. I'm wondering if I reset it in the process and it tripped again? Airflow wise I should be free and clear. It was blowing strong when I checked out side

rickgburton

Staff member
Looks like I made a mistake. I don't have the tech sheet or wiring diagram for that particular model. I was looking at a similar model that uses the same style gas valve and it does use DC volts. I told you wrong, sorry. This is a different style gas valve but it works the same way. I was looking through the tech sheets for gas dryers and came across a flow chart for testing the gas valve.
LG gas valve flow chart.jpg

So if we go back to your first picture where the meter is on the correct DC volts setting, you have less than the 90V so it looks like you're on the right track with the thermostats. Sorry about the mistake.

Mentalcase

Premium Member
Does it still look like the gas valve though? I guess I should check valve 2 as well.

rickgburton

Staff member
You'll need to follow the flow chart to tell if the valve is good or bad. Right now it looks like a thermostat may be the problem.

Mentalcase

Premium Member
I checked the high limit thermostat and its still showing continuity is it possible for it to still be faulty? Or could the problem be before the high limit? None the less I have a new thermostat coming later this week.

rickgburton

Staff member

Mentalcase

Premium Member
I checked and they were closed, both having continuity. I figured I'd replace them both anyway. I installed the new high limit and its still not working. The burner tube will be here later today.

Mentalcase

Premium Member
I just replaced the valve as well with no success. Crossing my fingers it's the burner tube thermostat.

Mentalcase

Premium Member
Still not glowing and obviously lighting with the thermostats and valve replace. Interestingly enough Valve 1 is showing 20Vdc when running on time dry with high heat and around 70V when not running or in normal mode. I guess it's time to call in the pros.

rickgburton

Staff member
Cool! give me a few minutes to look up the diagram. Where in NJ? I'm from Hunterdon County area.