Does anyone actually know why the UI Control Boards on GE Dishwasher tend to fail?

Admiral

Premium Member
Hi, I've done a lot of circuit board repairs on various devices, and I'm in the middle of fixing two GE dishwashers, models GDT545 and GDT655. Both have issues with the UI control boards. The GDT545's has both 14v present as well as 5v correctly being produced on the board, yet nothing happens. Holding the two end buttons won't boot into service mode.

I haven't tackled the GDT655SGJ0WW to see whats wrong with it now. It works sometimes, and other times it does not. It had 14v present and didn't show a short through the thermal camera. Next step I soldered two tests leads to the 14v and ground pins to hook it up to bench power to see if I could find a short - but before I hooked it to the bench, I reconnected it to the main board and it lit up with LED lights. I put it back together and it worked for a few days. Now it's dead again. I looked at the main power board Status LED and it was flashing without a pattern. After I reset the power the status LED holds steady on.

A lot of people on here just say to replace the board(s) - which is fine for a lot of people, but... for those who have actually examined these boards without just throwing them in the trash - why exactly do these go bad? What is the common fault here? Is it a random transistor or the radial caps? Is it the main IC in the center? These seem to give out so frequently there has to be a common fault. I'd prefer to check additional common fault areas on the boards before purchasing new ones.

Last edited:

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Don't think you would want to pay a service tech his hourly labor rate(mine is $80/hour) to troubleshoot a board problem. That's why we replace the board. The only time I had to repair a board was when I did warranty for Bosch and they demanded we try to re solder the heater relay on their control unit first.

Admiral

Premium Member
It shouldn't take an hour to figure out what is wrong with these if someone has looked at enough. When I've repaired batches of things usually 70% of them exhibit the same problem, either a bad smd diode or a bad cap in the same spot, etc. Surely someone has actually looked at these to see what usually fails. There's a UI control board here going dead every day.

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Why don't you try it and time it. Then see if you can get the failed component, install it, then consider taking it back to the home owner and re-install it. Up goes the cost of doing business as well as losing either $ or customers. Supposedly the manufacturer of the product should be doing the investigation of failures but I doubt it. How much time have you invested so far?

Admiral

Premium Member

I found this thread on reddit where the user speculates the main IC, R5F2135CMNFP, contains flash ram has a limited number of write cycles and lack of clean power might cause the an excess number of writes prematurely causing the flash to wear out and fail. The chip itself is only $10 from mouser but programing a new one is likely not be possible. Another post revolving around this IC can be found on EEVBlog:

Since the existing one is kaput it's probably not possible to replace it without a known good board to get the firmware off of it to replace it.

Last edited:
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.